2002 WRX Oil leak, drivers side.

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX Oil leak, drivers side. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; As the title states, I have a 2002 WRX with a drivers side oil leak. It is a mild leak ...

2002 WRX Oil leak, drivers side.

As the title states, I have a 2002 WRX with a drivers side oil leak. It is a mild leak until after running the car and shutting it off. I do not own the vehicle, I am picking it up Tuesday as we will be purchasing it.

Valid info: Head gaskets were done at 95k, vehicle is at 105k and it is not leaking there.

Where I plan on checking: Valve cover, cam seal.

Any other input/info is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump.

Going to get this car today, the guy is meeting me at my house and taking my father and I to his parents house to use their lift. While it is up in the air, what would you guys look at?

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Don't take delivery of the car until that problem is fixed.

My first thought was a came seal too. In order to fix that the timing belt has to come off, and that's a good size project (or some coin). Have them fix it before buying it. Also have the rest of the car inspected buy a certified mechanic.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 08-02-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Doesn't sound too good to me.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Brought it home today, took off the timing cover on the passenger side, cleaned it out with brake cleaner, jacked it up, and ran it. It was leaking out of the valve cover gasket. I'll be replacing that this week. If it isn't the calve cover, then it's the camshaft bracket that holds the cam in place closest to the gear, which should be an easy fix to just take it off, clean the RTV off the bracket and mating surface, then re-RTV it.

But thank you guys anyways, glad to know there are helpful people on this forum, and I hope to be like that on here myself.