Odd engine sound in 2nd gear off throttle @ 2000 RPM, 2011 wrx

This is a discussion on Odd engine sound in 2nd gear off throttle @ 2000 RPM, 2011 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all. Im new to the site and finally bought a 2011 wrx a couple weeks ago. I have 650 ...

Odd engine sound in 2nd gear off throttle @ 2000 RPM, 2011 wrx

Hey all. Im new to the site and finally bought a 2011 wrx a couple weeks ago. I have 650 miles on it and still driving it like a big baby until I get through the break in period.

I have been freaking out a little because I hear a strange sound when I back of the throttle and the engine is braking at around the 2000 rpm level. It only happens in second gear while the engine is braking. I'm not sure how to describe the sound, its not a grind or a knock but more of hiss or buzz type sound, but not really. Possibly a gear meshing type sound. It kind of reminds of what a school bus or ups type truck sounds like at low speeds. Sorry, wish I could describe it better.

My prior car was a speed3 and I know that the boxer engine sounds completely different, but does anyone else experience the aforementioned at 2000 rpm.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

its the trans, not the engine.. and completely normal. Its the gears meshing.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, normal operation.

For your own future reference, if the sounds coming from your car are existant in one gear, but not others under similar conditions, you can deduce that it's an issue with the trans, not the engine. Engine related problems will (usually) increase or decrease with RPM's. Just a friendly tip for the future.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I also did more research into it on the web and like you said it appears be normal. I just wasn't sure because the sound is distinctly louder at 2000 rpm than higher or lower rpm.

I appreciate the input.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also could be heat shield buzzing at that frequency. I'm getting a lot of that at low RPMs lately.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

I Support ClubWRX
    I have about the same sound.It gets worse when you go down a hill in 2nd.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I have about the same sound.It gets worse when you go down a hill in 2nd.
    And gets really bad with bushing upgrades
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    Also could be heat shield buzzing at that frequency. I'm getting a lot of that at low RPMs lately.
    You just saved me from creating a new thread in the near future. God that was driving me nuts. Man coming from my last car, this thing sure is a screamer!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by djclue8713 View Post
    You just saved me from creating a new thread in the near future. God that was driving me nuts. Man coming from my last car, this thing sure is a screamer!
    Glad I could help. After a while, everything rattles and hums. heat shields, exhaust, dashboard, door panels... the list goes on forever.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG