Is My Turbo Dying?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is My Turbo Dying? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Car: 2004 WRX Mods: Cobb Intake 3Ē Exhaust with stock uppipe and downpipe My boost has severely dropped over that ...

Is My Turbo Dying?

Car: 2004 WRX
    Mods: Cobb Intake
    3Ē Exhaust with stock uppipe and downpipe

My boost has severely dropped over that last couple months and Iím in desperate need of help/wisdom. Two months ago, I was hitting about 10 lbs of boost tops. Now, Iím barely hitting five. I took it to a local shop(Solid Autoworks, awesome guys) and they informed me I didnít have a restrictor pill but I donít have a boost leak. So I purchased a pill and installed it and have seen no change in boost. My car runs fine otherwise, but my boost is just not there anymore. Solid Autoworks thought maybe my cats are clogged, but I passed my emissions a month ago so I donít think its that. So this leads me to believe that my turbo is on its way out. If anyone else has had a similar thing happen to them, please share any info that will help. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you tuned? I know you said it doesn't have a leak, but it sounds like you have a leak, may want to double check everything. Have you ever been hitting more than 10psi?. I don't think there's anything wrong with the turbo.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would say that its a leak as well.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

It's never been tuned and I only got a boost gauge three months ago(ive have the car a year) and since i've had it i've only ever hit 10 psi.

But even better then all this. On my way home from work my engine started making a knocking noise. At first it was only when I went over 3000 rpm, but now it's doing it all the time. And it barely starts. I'm seriously up **** creek without a paddle.

I Support ClubWRX
    Turbos just don't go "on their way out". They just flat out die. So basically if it was your turbo you probably would have zero boost and possibly some distinct noise to go with it. I'm with the others,possible boost leak. Kinda surprised the shop you took it too didn't do a pressurized boost leak test. Pretty standard test for any forced induction car and isn't very complicated.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

He said he did the test. He might have been talking out his ass though.

So I checked my oil level and it was low. Could I have thrown a rod?

If you threw a rod.. low boost would be the least of your worries. The big hole in the block and dramatic loss of oil as well as a crapload of noise would be quite apparent.

I'm with the others, its likely a boost leak. You might have a torn or loosely connected coupler between turbo and intercooler or between intercooler and throttlebody. I've had couplers tear and only leaked while under boost. So the car would Idle fine, drive fine.. but low boost.

Is the check engine light on? Any codes thrown? ..
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I'm blessed to have a gauge cluster that has the check engine light completely disabled. After more research its not a rod. I could care less about my turbo right now. I just want to figure out what the knocking noise is. I'm having the car towed to a mechanic to be safe. Could it be a head gasket?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ah a local guy. Solid Auto is a good shop for sure. Brody is a good guy (if you dealt with him), known him for years now.

I'd be willing to help you out, if your available time is when I'm available (work nights). I'm off tomorrow and Saturday though, so shoot me a PM if you want an extra set of eyes. I do have a tactrix cable, so we can check to see if you have any DTC's, and go from there.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I missed the bit about the knocking noise.. keep us posted man, hope its not too serious.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

yeah be mostly dealt with Brody. He's a good guy. I dropped my car off at solid last night and they looked at it this morning. Its a bad rod bearing. So I'm looking into getting it fixed.
    If anyone has a used 2.0L short block they would like off their hands let me know.

I Support ClubWRX
    Bummer man. I don't know of anyone off the top of my head, sorry. Go to SLC Subaru and sign up for an account if you haven't already and check with the guys there. Or go to NASIOC and check on the RMIC section, that's where most of them spend their time.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I'm getting a loan fix it. Sucks way bad but at least ill have my car. Learned my lesson though, I'm checking my oil WAY more often.

I Support ClubWRX
    Damn dude, sorry. If I had more time on my hands I'd offer help you do the swap to save you some money, but alas, I'm short on time. I do have a mechanic friend who would be willing to help, but I understand wanting to go to a garage.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I appreciate the thought. But me and my wife share the car so I need my car fixed as fast as possible. I'm getting enough money to pay to get it fixed so I'm not going to worry about it anymore. just gonna move on and be glad I'm getting it is getting fixed.
    I have a place I trust to fix it. And they are getting me a decent deal too. Still more then if I did it myself, but like I said, I need it done fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast