think i broke a rod.. help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on think i broke a rod.. help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. I'm new here. Jusy bought an 02 wrx just four days ago and on my way home last ...

think i broke a rod.. help!

Hey guys. I'm new here. Jusy bought an 02 wrx just four days ago and on my way home last night I think I broke a rod. Well when you start the engine there's a bad knocking noise. When you give it gas it doesn't get louder but semi speeds up with the engine. Or could I have possibly spun a bearing??.. well what do you think I should I do? Rebuild the short block or buy a new one all together.and while I'm at this what other maint should I do? The car only has 84k miles on it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It may be a rod bearing which is common occurance to happen (when someone does have motor issues). Its been discussed that it might be linked to lack of oil, wrong oil etc.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Well I'm not a huge motorhead. But I know enough. My engine seemed to be running fine and this happens out of nowhere how bummed am I..

if you want to spend the time and not so much money to replace a rod bearing and considering nothing else is broken you could rebuild it. Or you could spend a couple g's and buy a rebuilt motor that wont mess up and put it in your self which is the route i would go personally
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

Any suggestions on a good reputable motor spot?

Where are you located?

Southern california. Ventura county to be exact

I'm not from your area, but I found this thread on NASIOC. Call around to the places listed here, and get quotes.
    Subaru Mechanics in Ventura County? - NASIOC

Tell each place the same thing, that you think you spun a bearing, and you're shopping around.

Drain the oil and look for tiny metal pieces. What oil where u using and when was it last changed?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Not sure what oil or last time it was changed but it still is pretty clean on the dipstick

At this point, the less you run the engine the better.

So talked to local mechanic and he says its definately a broken connecting rod. So what to do?

Ok so what should I do? Replace with the same Shortblock that,was already in The car? I don't want this to happen again so any measures I can take at,this time,to prevent it are good

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on your budget and what you want from the car. You'll likely save money by going with a gently used shortblock, this option is generally best for most people. But if you plan on big upgrades in the future, maybe look at building up the block you currently have (assuming no damage has been done to the block itself).
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Sometime in the future I plan to yes but not now. im out of work dont have funds for a build atm. But what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing a 2.5 hybrid swap. What all will need to be done? If I decide not to do that what Shortblock should I purchase

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast