05 WRX Center Differential Problems

This is a discussion on 05 WRX Center Differential Problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, my 05 WRX that I got in December is sitting at the dealership right now needing a center diff ...

05 WRX Center Differential Problems

So, my 05 WRX that I got in December is sitting at the dealership right now needing a center diff replacement. I trust that this is the problem as I'd been having the standard locking/grinding problem when doing tight turns at low speeds. The only reason I haven't given them the ok to fix it yet is because they're quoting me $1500, and I was trying to find a way to get it done cheaper, but am having no luck so far. (I know little about car maintenance - I can do oil changes and smaller jobs, but am not comfortable doing transmission work.)

The weird thing is this car only has about 51k miles on it. It was a single owner before me, and she was selling the car because her family was moving in with her and she needed a larger vehicle. Her maintenance record was almost perfect, and I had the dealer she got it from inspect the vehicle before buying it, and everything was fine.

Sucks that it's not under warranty anymore. I've called the original dealer asking them for a repair quote even though they're an hour away, but they're not getting back to me so I'm probably going to lose patience and ok the work be done some time tomorrow.

This is my first manual, so I expected to wear the clutch out some, but I'm paranoid I did something to break the center diff, as it shouldn't have gone out this soon. I haven't been doing donuts, and the car hasn't been towed any. Is there anything else I could have done to cause damage like this? Only thing I can think of is during the winter we had a large snow, and I didn't really clear out my parking spot all the way, so maybe I had the front/back tires spinning at different rates pulling in and out, and caused the damage. If that could be it, then that's a pretty expensive lesson on caring for a 4WD car, but one I won't forget.

Maybe I'm just really unlucky. I got this car because my 1996 corolla had a series of problems related to Pep Boys screwing up an axle replacement and I needed something more reliable. Any insight will be helpful though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post
    Is there anything else I could have done to cause damage like this? Only thing I can think of is during the winter we had a large snow, and I didn't really clear out my parking spot all the way, so maybe I had the front/back tires spinning at different rates pulling in and out, and caused the damage. If that could be it, then that's a pretty expensive lesson on caring for a 4WD car, but one I won't forget.
    That shouldn't be the issue. The car is designed for this. As long as you don't hold a large differential in force/speed for extended periods of time, you shouldn't heat the silicone to the point of sheering. Either way, it sounds like you have differential binding... was the transmission fluid replaced at proper intervals with the correct fluid? IIRC, the viscous system does not require friction modifiers... When you drained the trans fluid, was there large chunks of metal on the magnetic drain plug?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Well, that makes me feel slightly better, at least so far as not thinking it was my fault. I can't tell you when the transmission fluid was last changed - the service records I have show that the previous owner had checkups at every 7500 mile mark or so, so I'm assuming it was changed during one of those.

I didn't drain the fluid myself, but I can ask the dealer what it looked like when they were checking out my issues. Guess I'll give them the green light to fix it tomorrow and not worry about it me messing it up again.

Thanks for the reply - I still have a lot to learn about cars, but I know a lot more than I did a year ago. I really do love the WRX, so hopefully it'll stay healthy after this