Backlash question... and vibration @ 65...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Backlash question... and vibration @ 65... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi fellas, im new to the subaru world and was wondering if anyone had any input on my cars issues. ...

Backlash question... and vibration @ 65...

Hi fellas, im new to the subaru world and was wondering if anyone had any input on my cars issues.
    2002 wrx 180,xxx miles (EVERY maintenance done @ dealer, ridiculous i know!) Bought it off a friend for 4k a few months ago only because he did such a great job with the car care!
    Anywho, I have a LOT of back lash or slack in the drivetrain... I have heard that this can be an inherit prob with that many miles... but are there any other things that could go wrong that causes this? It Shifts PERFECT every time and shifting is tight, (with the 1st gear expected slow shift need...) I am mechanically inclined, which is why im concered about the amount of backlash when driving. Occurs in every gear. I have checked all mounts and bushings. All were good except CAB's.
    Brings me to my next Q. I get a really BAD shake/vibe @ 60 and dissapears @ 70... Could this be my bad CAB? Or could it relate to the backlash.
    ANY info would be much appreciated. I feel i need to be pointed in the right direction here since im still learning this car. Thanks again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My '02 has 150,000 miles and also has slack but not as bad as it sounds like in yours. Do you get a grinding/whining sound when decelerating in gear? I'm not familiar with the term "CAB"...what does that stand for?

I was just in Phoenix for 7 days last week. I left and it was 105 degrees and back in Seattle now it's rainy and 60 degrees out. I miss it already. Where abouts are you located? I was really suprised how few Subarus are down there
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

I dont have ANY grinding or whining noise... surprisingly. Control Arm Bushing or CAB. I know that they are bad and need to be replaced. I have already given the front suspension the rundown and that was (seemed to be) the only problem i found. i had the wheels Balanced (properly) on 2 separate occasions and also checked for of round.. everything was a-ok. i am at a loss though cause its ONLY shaking @ 60mph to 72mph, then its gone like a ghost.
    I live in the NW part of AZ on the outskirts of (Hell) Phoenix. Its so hot here, i hate it! Got no choice or id hapily go home to N. Cal! Most guys ive talked with about the scoobie subject say that WRX's just dont fare well in the EXTREME HEAT, so they arent popular here, and if there are any, they come out at night! ive seen a few, but like you said not too many!

CAB...I get it now, thanks. I was actually suprised how little the heat affected me coming from much cooler and wetter Seattle. I guess with the extreme heat the rather inadequate AC and turbo heat soak Subarus have would not be a good combination for comfort and longetivity.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

Anyone? Anything?

Mount Upgrades - Turn in Concepts

Def want to look at their "anti-clunk kit" for the rear diff.

You have 180k on the super soft factory bushings. At this point I'm sure the motor mounts and trans mount are sagging some and the driveline isn't properly aligned. Replacing all the mounts (trans/diff) will bring everything back into spec and if you go with upgrades like the ones on the page I linked.. it'll be even tighter than factory. Even my '10 has more slop in the driveline than it should. So, I can only imagine what it would be like with 180k mi. Its time to get those sloppy factory bushings out of there and replace with new at least if not upgrades
    Last edited by mangostick; 07-26-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Could this also be the cause for my shake? I only question because its AWD, thus the front wheels are under tourque when pushing the car @ a higher speed. When cruising, could the slop or slack act like speed wobble on a skateboard?
    Thanks for the link.. i was hoping for this kind of response. I have no idea where to get parts and or from who to get them. Personal reference is way better than guess work. I will definitely get all my ducks in a row and start with the mounts! Thanks again Mango~

It could possibly be.. I mean..at 180k mi all those soft bushings are now very worn.. and everything under there is wigglin and dancin around. All you have to do is catch the right resonant frequency and I'm sure the car would shake.

Glad I could help with the link, I've gotten every bushing/mount related Item for my car from TIC.. good people over there and they know their stuff. If you have questions do feel free to call them and have a chat. They wont steer you wrong.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Rewind a second here... I went and looked again and there is a mild whine on deceleration that is disguised by the exhaust system... Never really hear it unless your looking for it... Whats this mean to my sitaution? I thought too that SUBARU would advise and keep track of any worn bushings or mounts since the car has been to the dealer since its birth for EVERYTHING!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.