coolent question

This is a discussion on coolent question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my radiator and cooling system are currently at shops getting serviced after rust was found. i suspect they will just ...

coolent question

my radiator and cooling system are currently at shops getting serviced after rust was found. i suspect they will just use a generic brand of coolent to refll it.
    so my question was how bad is this/ is there a different between generic and subaru brand coolent?
    and if so how difficult is it to change?
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The motor is aluminum. The Subaru coolant is formulated for this. The question is whether the generic will not only be formulated for Al but also not clash with the Subaru coolant in your car already and result in a precipitate. This is possible but as more and more motors are Al it is not as likely as it may have been in the past. Just tell them to use Subaru coolant. Changing is not difficult.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    As SD stated, make sure it's formulated for use with aluminum engines.

If they're doing a complete flush, I see no problems with using a different brand of coolant, so long as you don't go mixing things. When you start mixing different makes of coolant, you run into problems.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!