engine running hot

This is a discussion on engine running hot within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi peeps ive got a 1995 wagon wrx i brought about a month ago and the engine always seems to ...

engine running hot

hi peeps ive got a 1995 wagon wrx i brought about a month ago and the engine always seems to run very hot !! the gauge only stay around the quatar gauge and gose up when in traffic the fans kick in where they should and the gauge drops back and while im driving along is this normal !!theres no sign of a head gasket trouble !! i dont drive it hard and when i pull up turn the engine of it makes alot of ticking noices like ive just been frashing it can u help ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    First, check your coolant level. If the coolant level is okay, it's probably an issue with your thermostat. But check your oil just to make sure it doesn't look all milky.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

thanks I've Checked all those water level fine no Mao in oil if it's the fo stat dose it mean it could be sticking ? And also where abouts is it on the car and is it a easy job ? Cheers mate :-)

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Almost definitely a thermostat problem, it could be air in the line, which is something you could try to remove by burping the system, but if it were me I'd just replace the thermostat and the coolant and be done with it.

On newer WRX's it's where the lower hose meets the water pump. That's likely where it is on your vehicle, but I can't say that with 100% certainty, since we didn't see that generation of WRX in the states.

Use only the Subaru thermostat, I don't know of any aftermarket thermostats that have had as good a result as the factory unit, replace any gaskets along the way. It's an easy thing to change, but can be messy if you're not careful about draining the coolant.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Plus, most definitely use the subaru coolant conditioner when you go to refill it, fill the rad.half way than pop the conditioner in, than finish filling it....

Thanks guys helps alot on the case allready