DIY oil change more expensive than shop?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on DIY oil change more expensive than shop? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've never changed my own oil before, but I want to start. I've always paid about maybe or ...

DIY oil change more expensive than shop?

So I've never changed my own oil before, but I want to start. I've always paid about maybe $25 or so for an oil change from a shop. But looking at the oil in an auto parts store, to get the oil recommended in my manual (5w-30 with SL designation)... it would run close to $50. All the cheaper oil is either not 5w-30 or doesn't have the SL designation.

So am I just getting ripped off on oil? Or is the shop not using the proper stuff? It seems like doing it yourself should be cheaper...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For $25 you were likely getting non-synthetic? Most oil change places and the dealer typically won't give you much of a discount, if any, when you have synthetic oil put in. You then pay for their time on top of that, so even if you end up paying a couple of $ more for the oil, you'll still save money.

You'll also have more options in which oil you choose to run.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i change my own. it costs $16.99

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    For $25 you were likely getting non-synthetic? Most oil change places and the dealer typically won't give you much of a discount, if any, when you have synthetic oil put in. You then pay for their time on top of that, so even if you end up paying a couple of $ more for the oil, you'll still save money.

You'll also have more options in which oil you choose to run.
    I'm not really sure, to be honest. I'm kinda starting out with zero knowledge of anything regarding cars and trying to get better and learn more as much as I can. I assumed they just put in whatever was recommended for the car. It was $25 total at the shop, including labor and all. Just buying the oil to do it myself looks like it will run close to $50.

If it's better for the car then I'm okay with that... but I thought it was also supposed to be cheaper to change your own (not having to pay labor costs and such).

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06
    i change my own. it costs $16.99
    What kind of oil do you run? And it costs $16.99 for 4-5 quarts? (which is how much you need, correct?)

For $25 you definitely were not getting synthetic. Most auto parts stores like pepboys, autozone, oreillys, etc have oil specials. Usually you can get conventional oil with an oil filter for $20 and full synthetic with filter for $30 or less. He'll I've seen an oil special for as low as 9.99 for some oil and filter but I wouldn't run that in my car LOL

Sent from my iPwn 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    If it's better for the car then I'm okay with that...
    Synthetic is now spec'd for new WRX's and STI's and regardless using a good quality oil pays off in the end.

I've used:
    Mobil 1 at stock and basic ECU tune levels
    Mobil 1 was too thin for the demands of a turbo back and a tune so I switched to Castrol Syntec
    Presently I have Motul 8100 something er other; likely the most expensive option

In the end there's not a HUGE difference between the name brand synthetics, although I did find Mobil 1 5w-30 too thin when I upped the power of my engine and there are plenty of horror stories about Mobil 1 on the net; likely a combination of thin oil and owners not checking their level often enough.

Since you're interested in doing it yourself you should order some oil test kits from Blackstone labs, I've been meaning to do this but never have the time to change my own oil.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Mobil 1 runs thin - go with 0w-40, and it's great. If you run 5w-30 M1, it'll thin out and you'll end up with bearing failure.

Castrol runs thick, so a 0w-30 is good.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    A 5 quart jug of 5w-30 synthetic oil (Castor oil,Pensoil,Quaker State) will run you about $20. Tack on another $5 for a quality filter.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I just changed my oil thursday with 5 qts of valvoline synpower 5w-30 (on sale) with a dealer filter and crush ring for $40 i saved around $25 on oil and got a extra filter for my FC3S and it only took me around 15-30 mins

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey
    A 5 quart jug of 5w-30 synthetic oil (Castor oil,Pensoil,Quaker State) will run you about $20. Tack on another $5 for a quality filter.
    5qt jug from Walmart: $20-25
    6 pack of filters from the dealership: $25-30
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.