thermostat question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on thermostat question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok, so here's the deal, I went to the parts store and bought a new thermostat so i could replace ...

thermostat question

ok, so here's the deal, I went to the parts store and bought a new thermostat so i could replace the old one. well, i started on it tonight, got the old one out and was gettin ready to put the new one in til i realized they dont look anything alike. The diameter of them is the same and it seems that the new one will fit in the thermo housing, but the spring assembly itself is so much smaller then the one i took out, and its too late to go back to the store cuz they are closed.

Has anyone ever come across this? will the new one i bought work still?

i will put pics of the new and old one up in just a second.

thanks in advance for any info/help.

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1997 S-10 zr2- work/quad hauler
    1991 crx si-r- all motor B16
    1989 crx si- beater

"It looks like Scarface sneezed on you car!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

here are some pics of the thermostats, the one i pulled out is on the left, the one on right is the one i just bought
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0246.jpg   IMAG0245.jpg  

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1989 crx si- beater

no body?

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1989 crx si- beater

I Support ClubWRX
    I can only guess. I have changed my thermostat but I used the authentic part. If your new 'stat has the same diameter and depth it should fit. What's wrong with the old thermostat?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It's probably right just aftermarket and of lower quality. I would get an OEM thermostat, our cars cooling systems can be finickey and aftermarket might not work properly
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

the old one was starting to stick and the the car would get hot.

im gonna take the two stats into the parts store and show them, maybe they have different stats for the non turbo imreza and for the turbo ones, perhaps this is the confusion.

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1989 crx si- beater

I have said it before and I will say it again. Subarus are very "touchy" when it comes to certain aftermarket parts, ignition componants, thermostats, and axles are the three that come to mind. I have seen brand new aftermarket thermostats cause overheating problems on these cars (actually it happened on my Legacy and my outback). Its most def. worth a trip to the dealership fore the cost difference is minimal between aftermarket and stock thermostats.

ok, so i went to the parts store where i purchased the stat from, it is the only one they carry for the impreza, wrx, and sti... so i went ahead and put it in. I had a funeral to go to yesterday and it was like 200 miles away. so i put over 400 miles on the car yesterday with the new thermostat, seemed to work just fine, no overheating issues at all.

but, i really dont like the idea of that puny thermostat being in there for long, so come payday, i think i'm gonna go to the subaru dealer and pick up an actual OEM stat. I would just feel alot better knowing i am using a better quality one.

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1989 crx si- beater

I Support ClubWRX
    When you are there get a new o-ring.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

definitely! I'll be sure to get a new o-ring as well.

Has anyone used Water Wetter in their cooling system? thinking about adding it, and just wondering what everyone's opinion was on the stuff.

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1989 crx si- beater

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.