How much is too much engine oil?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How much is too much engine oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car consumes some oil. Not a ton... but enough that I'll add maybe half a quart between oil changes ...

How much is too much engine oil?

My car consumes some oil. Not a ton... but enough that I'll add maybe half a quart between oil changes to keep the levels right. So today I checked it and it was low. I started adding in very small increments (maybe 15-20% of a quart at a time) and then checking the level. I added most of a quart, and it was still a little low. I had maybe a fifth of a quart left, and considered adding the whole thing, but then decided to take it slow and add half of what was left.

Good move. It is, however, a bit too full now. Not a lot... a bit less than halfway between the full mark and the notch. The engine isn't totally cool, but has been sitting for maybe an hour or so, so it's definitely not very warm still. Is this enough to worry about?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would not. You can try different brands and viscosities (if under warranty, stick to the correct specs) to see if your consumption goes down if you like.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You would not worry about it?

Hmm... any recommendations? I'm pretty new to this and don't really know anything about the different ratings. I've read up on it a bit but I'm still rather confused. The car is a 2003, so definitely no warrenty... I've been running Royal Purple 5w-30, seeing as it is the only brand around here that matches what the manual says to run.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't no, you're probably around half a quart over.

I have a 2002 and I have used M1 0W-40, 5W-40 "Turbodiesel" and Rotella T6 5W-40. That is the order from most to least consumption too. They will all work fine even year-round for you in CO but I tended to use more of the 0W-40. The T6 is not prone to use like the other two in my motor.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ok, I'll give that a shot. Thank you for the advice and the fast replies!

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm using Nippon ENEOS Motor Oil and so far its pretty good.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

What grade (not sure if that's the correct term) are you using Kronos? The 5w-30 or something else?

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    What grade (not sure if that's the correct term) are you using Kronos? The 5w-30 or something else?
    5w30

also I'm using their Gear Lube as well and its considerably nice smooth shifting.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.