Oil changes? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Oil changes? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What oil you use is somewhat dependant on where you live too. Here in So Cal I've always run 5w30 ...

What oil you use is somewhat dependant on where you live too. Here in So Cal I've always run 5w30 on all my cars.

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    You can't change oil too often, and you can't undo the damage done by not changing it enough.
    Well put.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by maw230 View Post
    Well since I am a noob I just filled my car with Mobil 1 5w30. Should I change it ASAP?
    Don't panic. 3720 miles on Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30 in my car and it was still within range for 5w30 (56.6 that needs to be between 55-62)

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah.. I think it's more of an issue in high power builds than anything. I would just wait till it's time to change, then switch to something else. Plenty people run it for the life of the car with no issues, but if I know there's something better out there for the same price I'm going to use the better oil.

Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    Don't panic. 3720 miles on Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30 in my car and it was still within range for 5w30 (56.6 that needs to be between 55-62)
    Good deal. I'm in an 02 WRX with 103k miles if that makes any difference. Basically a bone stock car, however.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Yeah.. I think it's more of an issue in high power builds than anything. I would just wait till it's time to change, then switch to something else. Plenty people run it for the life of the car with no issues, but if I know there's something better out there for the same price I'm going to use the better oil.

what does the german castrol look like? i keep hearing people recommend that, but have no idea what it is.

The German Castrol has a red label, and it says “Made in Germany” on the back.

What's so great about the Castrol German blend vs regular Castrol synthetic?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

German Castrol is a real synthetic group IV (PAO) that uses esters that are derived from PAO. This is a unique chemistry. Most esters are group V. It has shown extremly low wear in Used Oil Analysis (UOAs). The U.S. Castrol is a different animal. It is hydrocracked (highly processed) mineral oil that legally can be labeled as synthetic. It has a decent additive package but cannot match GC.

Basically, it's completely different..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    What's so great about the Castrol German blend vs regular Castrol synthetic?
    In the US it is questionable whether a regular Castrol "synthetic" exists. After the term "synthetic" become more legal than chemical in the local market the makers started labeling hydrocracked / GrIII stuff synth, and they were within their rights to do so. The imported oil wasn't allowed the same lenience for its local market so it's a true synth - or at least it was last I checked.

Castrol are not alone in doing this; as a sign of how the mighty (in their own minds) have fallen, Amsoil had done the same thing with their XL series products. Ultimately it doesn't matter what the synthesis process is, what matters are the oil analysis data from a customer's motor. Given that I'd use any modern API oil that meets the maker's spec and not worry all that much.

Also, the imported Castrol is green in 0W-30 at least while it is new or fresh (I do not know about the 5W-40 stuff that was sourced from BE).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for that! ^
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maw230 View Post
    Good deal. I'm in an 02 WRX with 103k miles if that makes any difference. Basically a bone stock car, however.
    Yeah, I ended up switching to Shell Rotella T6 after reading all the hysteria over Mobil 1 shearing down, but I didn't rush it. Just changed it at the next scheduled interval.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12