Compass in rearview mirror works intermittently, confused...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Compass in rearview mirror works intermittently, confused... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my compass will come on sometimes and most of the time it doesn't even come on... I've noticed that ...

Compass in rearview mirror works intermittently, confused...

So my compass will come on sometimes and most of the time it doesn't even come on... I've noticed that it will appear to be dim and other times it is bright as it should be... I haven't checked any fuses, but I am wondering if it has a separate battery... last time it was working normally, I did the recaliberation and it was reading the right direction... So if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be, that would be great...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    mine is very dim too, I tried turning it on and off again using the old compass button, but no joy, still very very dim.

I'm guessing you have a 06wrx by your username, mine is 06 too, have you pressed the compass button on and off again??

Yeah I have an 06 as well and have tried tinkering with the button and no luck... I'm wondering ig there is a short or a different power scource in it or maybe its just getting old...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

It doesn't have a battery so you should check the connections at the mirror. It is a plug that pops out from the back and you can use a DMM to test the power source. Should only be one hot wire in there when the key is on so it'll be easy to find. But...chances are it isn't a short or loose wire and the mirror needs to be replaced if the dim light bothers you.

Good news: One company (Gentec or something like that) makes most of the dimming mirrors on the market. You can snag one on ebay or your local junkyard for pretty cheap.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    It doesn't have a battery so you should check the connections at the mirror. It is a plug that pops out from the back and you can use a DMM to test the power source. Should only be one hot wire in there when the key is on so it'll be easy to find. But...chances are it isn't a short or loose wire and the mirror needs to be replaced if the dim light bothers you.

Good news: One company (Gentec or something like that) makes most of the dimming mirrors on the market. You can snag one on ebay or your local junkyard for pretty cheap.
    Cool thanks for the info, It doesn't really bother me too much but I'll put it on my to do list.

Sweet... thanks for the info, It doesn't really bother me its just kinda annoying that it is allready broken... Salt Lake City is built off of a grid system so its not like you can get lost here let alone not know which direction your going...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

See this DIY repair for the dim compass display. If it works for you please let us know.

DIY : 06-07 WRX In-Mirror Compass Display Repair

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.