Subaru Synthetic oil
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru Synthetic oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Where can i buy bulk subaru synthetic oil? Trying to get a good deal on some oil....

Subaru Synthetic oil

Where can i buy bulk subaru synthetic oil? Trying to get a good deal on some oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    at a dealership, or fredbeansparts.com is all i know of
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nicer person than me^^
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    Nicer person than me^^
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I hate gallon jugs (you need a funnel instead of just being able to pour like a quart), but they charge $2 more for a quart relative to the price per gallon ($i.e. 7 for a quart whereas the gallon comes out to $5 a quart equivalent). I'm thinking of keeping an empty quart container around and refilling it for the times when you just want to quickly add some oil in-between changes (although right now I'm not losing any oil thus far, but it always happens sooner or later and with 7500 mile intervals, it'll probably happen even when the vehicle is almost new.

Auto-Zone doesn't even seem to sell boxes of quarts anymore locally. You could at least get a discount before by buying a box of them. Now it's either one quart at a time or a gallon jug.

The price of oil amazes me today. I kept a crate of Valvoline around for my entire last car and so I hadn't priced oil until I got the '11 WRX and needed synthetic. It's insane. I think I paid under $2 a quart 6 years ago. I remember paying $1 a quart not long before that. It's insane now. Gasoline is takes more refining than motor oil yet motor oil costs over 5x as much (and I don't mean synthetic in that regard). Yes, you are being ripped off...royally.
    Last edited by MagnumXL; 07-07-2011 at 01:33 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Thanks guys. Its either subarus oil or amsoil for me im thinking.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TWlSFM View Post
    Thanks guys. Its either subarus oil or amsoil for me im thinking.
    Neither are available conveniently at least for me and from what it seems, for you either. Of the two I'd go with Subaru. Given a choice I'd go with neither and simply use something available at common stores that meets SOA's specs.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Neither are available conveniently at least for me and from what it seems, for you either. Of the two I'd go with Subaru. Given a choice I'd go with neither and simply use something available at common stores that meets SOA's specs.
    Agreed. I usually use high-mileage Valvoline Synthetic from whatever autoparts store is having a sale on it. Usually Napa, Autozone, or O'Reilly's will have 5 quarts of Valvoline synthetic with a high-end (not Fram) oil filter for $35-40. I've had great success with that.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

forgot to mention my car is a 2011 WRX

5qt jug of pennzoil platinum + Subaru oem oil filter = 30 bux

Sent from my iPwn 4 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Rotella T6 5w-40 is $19/gal at Walmart around here..

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Rotella T6 5w-40 is $19/gal at Walmart around here..
    1 gal = 4qts. We need 5qts (4.6 or so) btw.

Sent from my iPwn 4 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That's why you buy two at a time.

Then you have plenty to top it off between changes. It's not like it goes bad.

It'd be interesting to see a test of the Subaru oil to see how it compares to other synthetic oils before making a decision on which oil to go with for the buck. I'm planning on going with Valvoline Synpower at the moment since I can get a discount on it.

I find this interesting:
    Subaru Synthetic Oil - Fact, Fiction and Requirements

Their scheduled maintenance interval does NOT match the one Subaru just sent me two months ago. Theirs specifically says 2011 turbo models need 3750 intervals while the one Subaru sent me clearly and plainly says 2011 turbo models are 7500 miles between changes. One of the two is lying. I see no reason for Subaru to send me a revised schedule with inaccurate information. Given the normal oil change interval for dino oil was 3000 miles and full synthetic typically doubles that intervals, the 3750 for full synthetic makes no sense, IMO. I'm almost to my first 3000 miles now and the oil isn't even slightly dirty and I'm still on the full mark.

There is a note in my original manual (which says 7500 normally but 3750 for certain circumstances relating to some definition of hard driving or the like, but that is based on mileage driven on average and other factors (none of which apply to my daily commute, IMO). The updated addendum (revised schedule) makes no such mention of 3750 for any specific conditions. Given its meant to replace the one in the manual, I'm assuming 7500 is the standard interval now.
    Last edited by MagnumXL; 07-07-2011 at 08:06 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast