Subaru Synthetic oil - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Subaru Synthetic oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by MagnumXL It'd be interesting to see a test of the Subaru oil to see how it compares ...

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    It'd be interesting to see a test of the Subaru oil to see how it compares to other synthetic oils before making a decision on which oil to go with for the buck. I'm planning on going with Valvoline Synpower at the moment since I can get a discount on it.

I find this interesting:
    Subaru Synthetic Oil - Fact, Fiction and Requirements

Their scheduled maintenance interval does NOT match the one Subaru just sent me two months ago. Theirs specifically says 2011 turbo models need 3750 intervals while the one Subaru sent me clearly and plainly says 2011 turbo models are 7500 miles between changes. One of the two is lying. I see no reason for Subaru to send me a revised schedule with inaccurate information. Given the normal oil change interval for dino oil was 3000 miles and full synthetic typically doubles that intervals, the 3750 for full synthetic makes no sense, IMO. I'm almost to my first 3000 miles now and the oil isn't even slightly dirty and I'm still on the full mark.
    It is 7500 miles and synthetic only for 11+ and on nasioc there is uoa of Subaru synthetic and it wasn't great.

Sent from my iPwn 4 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The mediocre UOA could be due to how new the motors are. I certainly hope so. In any case even if the UOAs are in fact representative of what the Subaru oil can (or can't...) do, there are plenty of very competent oils that meet the SOA specs and can be used during and/or after the warranty.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sooo im gonna go ahead and ask away. What oil do most people prefer. I can get valvoline and mobil 1 for a pretty good discount... 5w-30? 5w-40? which one seems to be the best for our cars? (09 wrx)

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooped View Post
    Sooo im gonna go ahead and ask away. What oil do most people prefer. I can get valvoline and mobil 1 for a pretty good discount... 5w-30? 5w-40? which one seems to be the best for our cars? (09 wrx)
    Rotella t6 5w40 has plenty of good results and feedback. Pennzoil platinum and ultra, castrol syntec (especially the 0w-30 gc), amsoil, valvoline synpower and motul are all good IMO

so the recommended weight is 5w40?

I've heard bad things about Mobil1 5w-30. If you're going to go Mobil1, go 0w-30. I'm planning on going with 5w-30 Valvoline Synpower, personally. It's readily available locally (both DIY and several oil change places), reasonably priced compared to Mobil1, Amsoil, etc. and I've never had any problems with any of my cars (all ran Valvoline 95% of the time) including my '04 WRX using mere Dura-blend (no issues up to the day I traded it).

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooped View Post
    so the recommended weight is 5w40?
    Subaru's official recommended oil weight is 5w-30. With all the threads about how Subaru tries to use any excuse to void your warranty, I wouldn't want to have 40 weight oil in my car if I had an engine issue. Should that be a cause for concern? No. Is it? I'm not doing it. I've seen people afraid to use 0w-30 even for fear of a warranty issue and if anything, it should be a better choice (flows better at cold temperatures and normal 30 weight at temperature). Given the range of 5w-30 in 2011 for a synthetic, I'm not worried about heavier weight in summer or even cold startups in winter. I don't live in Alaska or Arizona.
    Last edited by MagnumXL; 07-08-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

I Support ClubWRX
    The manual states viscosity specs. Follow them to the letter under warranty and keep all receipts. After that it is your choice.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    Subaru's official recommended oil weight is 5w-30. With all the threads about how Subaru tries to use any excuse to void your warranty, I wouldn't want to have 40 weight oil in my car if I had an engine issue. Should that be a cause for concern? No. Is it? I'm not doing it. I've seen people afraid to use 0w-30 even for fear of a warranty issue and if anything, it should be a better choice (flows better at cold temperatures and normal 30 weight at temperature). Given the range of 5w-30 in 2011 for a synthetic, I'm not worried about heavier weight in summer or even cold startups in winter. I don't live in Alaska or Arizona.
    While 5w-30 is the preferred weight, the owners manual clearly states 40 and even 50 viscosity oils may be used in high temperature areas or under heavy duty applications. That is as long as it meets API classification of SM or SL. That certainly will cause no problems when it comes to warranty issues. Just also remember to keep your receipts for oil and filters plus remember to document the mileage and dates.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.