How to repair scratches on a front lip?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How to repair scratches on a front lip? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Let me preface by saying I'm an asshat... My wife and I went to DC yesterday to enjoy some fireworks ...

How to repair scratches on a front lip?

Let me preface by saying I'm an asshat...

My wife and I went to DC yesterday to enjoy some fireworks so we parked in her work garage since she has a parking pass on M street in Georgetown. She warned me not to go up one of the side streets but I thought I knew better...bad move. That was even after she told me she witnessed that street injure many a Porsche. Luckily the bumper has some give so I didn't leave any bits behind but scraped up my STI front lip. I was expecting much worse with the noise it made but ended up with this:

Any ideas how to fix this? Maybe some fine grit sandpaper and do some wet sanding? Seems like it would work well enough to hide the damage with the black plastic.

Lesson learned: Listen to your wife/girlfriend once in a while. (maybe...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sand it and repaint it

Or throw a **** ton of wax on it once a week lol

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

It wasn't painted--just the flat black plastic. I'd prefer not to paint it because...well...it will be painted and show scratches and chips more easily. I'm curious if I could get away with sanding and polishing it without looking like ****. Any thoughts?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly I've painted both of my front lips satin black and my scratches looked just the same as the ones you have.

Im not sure about sanding and polishing without paint

I guess maybe try it and see what happens

Worst case scenario: paint it. Lol

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

use a black sharpie and fill the spots

hard wax will not work its not painted... you can use spray wax and kinda scrub it to get some blemished out maybee but to be honest just touch it up with something black you probably wont be able to tell

if you sand it its going to look worse if you dont paint it after sanding
    11WRX Ltd - COBB Stage 2+AEM HWG 93 Octane
    COBB Downpipe - SPT Exhaust - AEM Intake
    Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT - JL Audio W6v2 & XD600/1

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Honestly I've painted both of my front lips satin black and my scratches looked just the same as the ones you have.

Im not sure about sanding and polishing without paint

I guess maybe try it and see what happens

Worst case scenario: paint it. Lol
    Painting isn't an option right now since I don't have a garage. But yeah, I like your idea--give it a shot and default to painting if sanding/polishing doesn't work. I'll probably try sanding the underside as a test and if it fails I'll look at the scratches for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011 View Post
    use a black sharpie and fill the spots

hard wax will not work its not painted... you can use spray wax and kinda scrub it to get some blemished out maybee but to be honest just touch it up with something black you probably wont be able to tell
    The problem is matching the color. My luck it would be more noticeable than the scratches.

if i was you I would just paint the whole lip and match it to the color of your car.

Isn't that plastic black throughout? Can't you just buff it out?
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    Isn't that plastic black throughout? Can't you just buff it out?
    Yep, it is plastic with no paint. That was really my question--how will it turn out if I do some wet sanding with really fine grit and polishing? I've never done anything like at on plastic so I was curious if anyone has and if so, how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011 View Post
    if i was you I would just paint the whole lip and match it to the color of your car.
    This is my fallback plan. I have DGM paint in a can that I used for the grill and chrome trunk piece. My only concern is how it will hold up over time. The way the front end of the car is chipped with factory paint I can only assume it will be worse with rattle can paint.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Yep, it is plastic with no paint. That was really my question--how will it turn out if I do some wet sanding with really fine grit and polishing?
    I don't picture this being easy to do right and match the appearance of the rest of the lip. You may not have the scratches any more, but you could end up with a larger area of slightly differing finish. The entire lip may be molded from the same plastic all the way through, but the outside probably has some type of coating or treatment. If you do try this I'd find a small out of the way area to thoroughly test it on first.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I would leave the lip until you can get it professionally painted it should cost around 80 bucks its so small!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.