Grinding/Rattling noise when turning wheel towards drivers side
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Grinding/Rattling noise when turning wheel towards drivers side within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone, I have an 06 WRX with about 79k miles on it and when I turn the wheel towards ...

Grinding/Rattling noise when turning wheel towards drivers side

Hi everyone, I have an 06 WRX with about 79k miles on it and when I turn the wheel towards the drivers side I hear a loud grinding noise that sounds like it is coming from passenger side. I do not hear it with a slight turn, I have to actually turn the wheel for a few seconds and if I accelarate while turning the noise gets louder. Does anyone have any idea what this is?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Check the boots on the passenger front axle. Sounds like one of the joints may have taken a crap on you. Could also be a simple problem with the wheel well plastics. Inspect those boots, and check to make sure the plastics are inserted correctly.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Is the noise coming from the front or the rear? I would check your backing plates for the front rotors and make sure a rock hasn't gotten caught between the rotor and plate or the plate isnt bent contacting the rotor, I would check all your exhaust heat shields, your inner fender covers, and I would also check to see if the backing plates from the rear rotors have rusted and are rubbing on the inner lip around the hat or the rotor ( If the noise is indeed coming from the rear.).

I had a similar issue on my last car. It ended up being the wheel bearing.

I had noise on my '04 WRX on hard right turns (i.e. with some speed behind it). It turned out to be rust on the back of the rotor rubbing against the backing plate. Sanding it down with a dremel tool would get rid of the noise for a year or so and then it (and the rust) would tend to come back again. I don't know what started the rusting process but once rust starts, it's hard to get rid of sometimes. It was more annoying than anything else. The dealer thought it was the wheel bearings at first (car was still under warranty when it first happened and they changed the wheel bearing on both wheels while they were at it and cleaned up the rust while they were in there. When it came back I knew it was the rust (which returned), not a bad bearing.

Of course, it could be a bearing, but you might take a look for rust in the area around the rotor.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

i have the same issue too, a grinding noise on the passenger side, every time i'm making a full turn on left. that is after i had a new coil overs last spring.
    Cobb Stage 2 and Heat Shield, NGK Iridium spark plugs, Invidia up pipe, divorced catted dp, G200 exhaust, GP Moto elbow, K&N Filter and Tein Flex Coilovers, Kartboy short throw and rubber bushing. Whiteline swaybars and bushings, kart boy end links, DBA F/R rotor hawks pads.
    Turbo upgrades processing

Thanks everyone, ended up being the edge of the rotor rubbing against one of the plates. When I had the rear brakes done they never sanded down the edge of the rotor.....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.