engine with no power?

This is a discussion on engine with no power? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; im completly new the the subaru scene but have worked with many boosted cars before so maybe someone here can ...

engine with no power?

im completly new the the subaru scene but have worked with many boosted cars before so maybe someone here can help
    i have a 2005 wrx wagon with 90,000 miles or so i just bought.
    mods that could pertain to this issue include:
    20g td06 turbo pushing 24lbs
    aftermarket up-pipe, downpipe, header and exhaust
    the engine seems like it has absolutly no power without the turbo...is this normal? when i go up a hill in 5th gear, the car cant make it without downshifting (hills that my cobalt had no problem with) and i only ran a 14 flat at the track...im just trying to see if there could possibly be something wrong with the engine or if maybe just the setup is jacked up...or if this is normal for a subaru...any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Confirm you are using a TD06 at 24 # max boost.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

its a td06 turbo and i have the .15mpa boost gauge and it goes past the .15 mark and just bounces...so i assume its somewhere in between 21 and 24 pounds

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The car has been tuned to use that turbo, correct? You should have SOME power below that, but the 20g isn't exactly a great match for the EJ20. BTW, oscillating boost like that is not a good thing. Sounds like you need to consult your nearest tuner, or take it back to the one who did the tuning in the first place and have them fix it.

What other mods were installed to support that turbo? Injectors and fuel pump are a must, if those haven't been done, I'd be worried about that engine.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 07-03-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 05grosrygettr View Post
    its a td06 turbo and i have the .15mpa boost gauge and it goes past the .15 mark and just bounces...so i assume its somewhere in between 21 and 24 pounds
    That is a pretty big hotside for a 2.0L Subaru. Did you have a supercharged or turbocharged Cobalt? Have you tried doing a compression test?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    That is a pretty big hotside for a 2.0L Subaru. Did you have a supercharged or turbocharged Cobalt? Have you tried doing a compression test?
    havent really tried anything on it...but now i kinda know what to start with so that will help...and i have the 2.4 N/A cobalt ss with the 2.0 supercharger kit on it...plus some other stuff lol

First question, and most important- What supporting mods for that turbo do you have, and is there a tune? If there isn't a tune, then there's probably already things drastically wrong with that engine- Subaru's cannot be done like other vehicles, they NEED engine management for almost any mod, and they definitely need fuel support mods for larger turbos. Also, a 20g on an ej205 seems overkill. Small engine pretty decently sized turbo...Turbo is just oversized for that engine, as far as im concerned. What mods did YOU do, or did you buy it like this?

I Support ClubWRX
    and i have the 2.4 N/A cobalt ss with the 2.0 supercharger kit on it...plus some other stuff lol
    Well thats half your problem right there. Your comparing a FWD car with .4L more engine, a higher base compression and a super charger to an AWD with a 2.0L, 8.2:1 base compression and a massively over sized turbo. So you say you have worked on many boosted cars before but you don't see this being a poor comparison?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

the cobalt wasnt always supercharged...but here is a better comparison...i drove a 1.5 d15y8 honda motor up this hill without having to downshift...im not stupid...im just trying to figure out whats wrong with my car

2l turbo engines have very little torque... if you're below 2krpm, don't even try :P

Anyway, running 14's on that turbo is pretty darn bad, unless you're at serious altitude. Get it checked out by a tuner/subie shop.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    the cobalt wasnt always supercharged...but here is a better comparison...i drove a 1.5 d15y8 honda motor up this hill without having to downshift...im not stupid...im just trying to figure out whats wrong with my car
    You haven't answered any of the important questions.... might want to think about doing that if you actually want some help here. See my post above as well as Pylonpounder's for what we are looking for. If this car has a massive turbo, no tuning, no fuel mods, or other supporting mods, there's your problem. Also, if that's the case, you've probably ruined your engine already.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    You haven't answered any of the important questions.... might want to think about doing that if you actually want some help here. See my post above as well as Pylonpounder's for what we are looking for. If this car has a massive turbo, no tuning, no fuel mods, or other supporting mods, there's your problem. Also, if that's the case, you've probably ruined your engine already.
    and as i stated before...i dont know what all the mods it has are yet...im on deployment right now so im cant just walk out and take a look...i know it has up, dp, and full exhaust...stock bpv and intercooler...only problem being the uppipe and turbo flange dont match up and it has a slight leak right there...turbo spools about 4200 or so...full boost at about 5300 i believe and it pulls HARD!

I Support ClubWRX
    KK, understood, it seemed more like you were ignoring our posts, so apologies.

You're going to want to take the car to a professional Subaru tuner before you drive it regularly again. The behavior is not normal, a 20G on a stock intercooler isn't normal, the oscillation isn't normal, the lack of power isn't entirely normal. So, something tells me that it was improperly modified before you purchased it. I really hope there isn't any damage to the engine, but you'll want to do a compression test just to make sure.

Thanks for your service BTW, and a Happy 4th to you.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!