Blown Head Gasket / Engine. What do?

This is a discussion on Blown Head Gasket / Engine. What do? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I blew the head gasket in my '02 bugeye yesterday. And it was from overheating, because i took too ...

Blown Head Gasket / Engine. What do?

So, I blew the head gasket in my '02 bugeye yesterday. And it was from overheating, because i took too long getting a cracked radiator replaced (which i replaced 2 days ago). Yeah, bad news all over the place.

Now, I am faced with a decision. Should I go with a used/crate complete replacement? Or should i try and rebuild this engine? Its got a little over 110k, mostly stock, newer clutch and (obviously) new radiator. Nothing too special. Of course, i am going to have to get the engine apart to if it's just the gasket or if the head(s) are cracked or how extensive the damage is, but just wondering what other people have done in this situation.
    confucius say "Man who run in front of car get tired."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would say open up your engine first...see how bad the damage is and go from there. I personally think you should just rebuild it. It would be cheaper to do in most cases.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Yeah, I'm gonna do that anyways, just because either way, I'm gonna have to tear it apart. And you're right, rebuilding would be cheaper as long as the head isn't cracked or worse. And I've heard that blowing a gasket from overheating is really bad. Just wondering if it's worth the time or what....
    confucius say "Man who run in front of car get tired."

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    I would say open up your engine first...see how bad the damage is and go from there. I personally think you should just rebuild it. It would be cheaper to do in most cases.
    +1 ^....I have seen many a subaru overheated very badly and 90% of the time the heads dont warp or crack, If you have the means to do the job yourself your only looking at around $300 for an engine gasket set plus antifreeze and oil and such. Of course Ive done tons of these HG's at work, but I can also say they can be done in your driveway with the right tools...How sure are you the headgasket is blown?

I Support ClubWRX
    At 110K if you are pulling a head anyway you would have to do the stuff under the front cover as well. This would be true though even if the motor was OK. Add ~ $500 USD to your parts cost. This would be true for a used motor as well if it's that old.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.