timing belt inspection
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on timing belt inspection within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After a hour searching I gave up so.. How can I tell if the timing belt has been changed? Looks ...

timing belt inspection

After a hour searching I gave up so.. How can I tell if the timing belt has been changed? Looks like the drivers side cam sproket cover will come off? Did they use a subaru belt? Our car has 118k and I am a tad bit nervous it hasnt been done..
    04 WRX Wagon. 18's, Catless uppipe, silencer mod..
    67 Cuda 493" big spinny thingy
    63 Savoy 413" 4 speed..
    99 dodge ram CTD modded.
    08 M109R2
    08 Vegas Low

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it there any way to tell for sure if its been changed?
    63 Savoy 413" 4 speed..
    99 dodge ram CTD modded.
    08 M109R2
    08 Vegas Low

So I assume you have no history on the car at all? You can pull the cover off ( they are all 10mm bolts ) all the replacement belts say SUBARU on them however at 118k miles if it hasnt been changed the word SUBARU will most likely have been worn off. The timing belts on pretty much all Subarus in general are very simple to replace if you have some mechanical aptitude, with the exception of the triple timing chain EZ36 which obviously doesnt require replacement.

if the name of the belt is unreadable, then its hard to tell if it has been done.

but if your going to change the timing belt, and looking for a timing belt. i have one for sale... um, belay my last.. you have a 2.0, the belt if for 2.5. Gate T328 timing belt -p/n: OHC328. not sure its for your though.
    MANNY
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #134

https://www.facebook.com/L1G3R

2007 WRB WRX TR, Stage 2.5, SPT Intake, Full Invidia 3" Exhaust w/ N1, ISC Coilovers, 17x8 RPF1 w/ Hankook VENTUS V4, DIY Engine Grounding.

this is the actual listing of Gates catalog. as it says, your engine takes a T328 belt also, compared to the EJ25 engine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PN. t328.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	98098
    MANNY
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #134

https://www.facebook.com/L1G3R

2007 WRB WRX TR, Stage 2.5, SPT Intake, Full Invidia 3" Exhaust w/ N1, ISC Coilovers, 17x8 RPF1 w/ Hankook VENTUS V4, DIY Engine Grounding.

Ok got the cover off and its a subaru belt the lettering is in blue its faded but readable. any ideas?
    63 Savoy 413" 4 speed..
    99 dodge ram CTD modded.
    08 M109R2
    08 Vegas Low

Does the belt look like it's in good condition? IE no hairline cracks.

If it's in good shape and the text is readable then it's likely been changed.

it looks pretty good to me I can read all the part numbers on it no cracks..
    Last edited by HOTSUBI; 07-12-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    63 Savoy 413" 4 speed..
    99 dodge ram CTD modded.
    08 M109R2
    08 Vegas Low

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.