Help, not sure what or how bad this is.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help, not sure what or how bad this is. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone I really need some help!! I started my car this morning to find this terrible noise. So I ...

Help, not sure what or how bad this is.

Hey everyone I really need some help!! I started my car this morning to find this terrible noise. So I went to work with my brother, came home and it is still making this noise, and there is a mild odor that I do not believe was there before. Any ideas on what is causing this? Maybe a plug not firing? Is it safe to drive like this?

Also it was raining very hard the second last time I drove it before this, maybe because I did the intake silencer mod some water may have gotten in and corroded a plug so that it can't fire. Thank you everyone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Need more detail man, mods, driveability issues?, history, CEL on?, recent work done... etc...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I have a pitch stop mount, rear diff mount race bushings, short shifter and bushing, and I removed the intake silencer and replaced panel filter with K&N. I tried driving it down the block but it got louder so I parked it, but it didn't seem to have a noticeable loss in power. No cel, engine has about 55000kms on it.
    I just changed the accessory belts, oil pressure sensor and oil (Royal Purple) about a month ago. I don't drive it hard very often.
    I am thinking that it may be the timing belt tensioner as it has not been replaced yet, also after seeing this video on youtube:YouTube - ‪2002 Subaru WRX valve noise???‬‏
    I hope this helps you get a better idea of what the problem may be.

Does the noise vary with speed or get louder/quieter further up in the RPM range? That video sounds to me like a spun rod bearing, but it could also be also something in the valvetrain... can you post up a video of your car, so I can see if its any different?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds "belty" but I can't tell remotely if I'm close to being right and even if I am I can't tell if it's an outside belt or the tbelt. Sounds like a roller or tensioner but I can't tell sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So a couple of days ago I changed my spark plugs (old ones were cheap NGKs with a thread reach of only 3/4in!!) with 1in thread reach plugs. Which i believe is the correct length, and I put some octane booster in.
    Now the noise is almost gone, still there though, and it seems to get quieter as the engine warms up. Do you guys think I should be concerned about this? Or do all subarus make strange noises now and then?

Hey sorry for the very late post, been pretty busy.
    I found out about two and a half weeks ago that the timing belt had not been changed yet and was 12,000kms over due. So I decided I would tackle this task. I bought the Cosworth timing belt (400% stronger) Gates timing belt kit (all idlers, tensioner, water pump), Grimspeed thermostat, Cosworth blueprinted high pressure oil pump, Cobb lightweight crank pulley, and new rad hoses. All from RallySportDirect.
    Once I had taken the car apart to the point where I could change all this, I checked the tensioner and it was loose and ticking. So I found that problem...
    Now I have all this installed and when I started the car it was running fairly rough (like shaking and erratic idle). No bangs or metal on metal sounds though. As it was warming up the Check Engine light started blinking so I shut it off. Any ideas? I made sure to put the new belt on exactly how the old one came off.
    Was I supposed to prime the oil pump? Water pump? Do these engines not like lightweight pulleys?
    Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

the cobb lightweight pulley might cause a rough idle. some cars respond well to it, some don't from what i read.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MitsuMuncher View Post
    Hey sorry for the very late post, been pretty busy.
    I found out about two and a half weeks ago that the timing belt had not been changed yet and was 12,000kms over due. So I decided I would tackle this task. I bought the Cosworth timing belt (400% stronger) Gates timing belt kit (all idlers, tensioner, water pump), Grimspeed thermostat, Cosworth blueprinted high pressure oil pump, Cobb lightweight crank pulley, and new rad hoses. All from RallySportDirect.
    Once I had taken the car apart to the point where I could change all this, I checked the tensioner and it was loose and ticking. So I found that problem...
    Now I have all this installed and when I started the car it was running fairly rough (like shaking and erratic idle). No bangs or metal on metal sounds though. As it was warming up the Check Engine light started blinking so I shut it off. Any ideas? I made sure to put the new belt on exactly how the old one came off.
    Was I supposed to prime the oil pump? Water pump? Do these engines not like lightweight pulleys?
    Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Did you manually rotate the engine after just having installed the new belt to make sure the cam timing marks line up with one another? they will not line up with the marks on the belt once the engine is rotated, but they should line up with one another.

Have you checked the crank angle sensor? Maybe you knocked it or something.

Post the CEL if possible.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Getting the code checked would be the first step, I'm guessing a misfire of some sort. Double check the coils, plugs, MAF is plugged in, things like that. If all is well there you may be a tooth off on the timing belt.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

OK so I checked the code and it was a general misfire on all cylinders. I decided I would try putting the belt on again, and when I did I saw that there are lines on the belt to aid in lining up the teeth.(durb durb) I put it on correct this time.
    After I did that it ran great no more ticking noise, rough idle or cel... except for the new noise that came. It was there when I was on the gas and it sounded like popcorn at times. It turned out that one of my spark plugs had came loose and was on its way out. I guess I must have put too much anti seize on the threads. Now all the plugs are torqued correctly and there are no more problems. It is running perfectly.
    Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Oh ya and everyone, if you don't know how to change a timing belt then do tons of research first, or get someone who does know how, or a shop to do it for you. I was fortunate to not have done any damage to my engine because my mistakes.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.