2002 WRX makes a grindy noise when in gear and throttle closed

View Poll Results: What do you think the problem is?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crank Bearing(s)

0 0%
  • Tranny Case (some say not rebuildable) =(

0 0%
  • Differentials

0 0%
  • Other (Please Specify)

2 100.00%

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX makes a grindy noise when in gear and throttle closed within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thought it was the transmission had it rebuilt and the noise remained, my general shop says its the tranny, tranny ...

2002 WRX makes a grindy noise when in gear and throttle closed

Thought it was the transmission had it rebuilt and the noise remained, my general shop says its the tranny, tranny shop says its pinion gears in the diffs, I think It could be a crank bearing bc I thought the motor burned up oil but turns out it was leaking slow and run empty who knows how many times, and the noise seems to sound better when theres oil in the case. You can feel the grindy sound on the stick when driving. PLEASE HELP

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you hear this noise only when in gear I am betting on a transmission issue. Post a video.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I have what sounds like a very similar problem. Does it happen in all gears at all rpm ranges or more noticeably in specific gears at specific rpms? Mine is more noticeable in 3rd and 4th going down a hill when I'm off the throttle and below 3500RPM. It's kind of a bouncing I can feel and see in the shift knob but I can also hear it. The fact that it's only when going down a slight decline with the car in gear makes me think it is the gears in the transmission. I put new Subaru Extra-S oil in it last year. That may have something to do with it too.

I also get a grinding-type noise when accelerating from about 1,200-1,800RPM. Not sure if it's related or a separate issue. I think it's separate though, because I didn't notice the decelerating sound above until I changed the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and throwout bearing. I believe this second acceleration sound has been there since I bought the car in April of 2010 but has just become more noticeable.

Please post any results/findings you have as it sounds like our wagons have similar issues.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

its in every gear at every rpm, a mechanic once told me the cases flex and the trans is not rebuildable (wow that's not a word, should be) because under high torque load like launch it'll twist and contact shaft bearings, but the only alternative is the subaru replacement part (there was a bulletin by subaru about these transmissions in the 02s and 03s i believe) but the new one is $4,000 I couldnt afford it so i opted for a guts replacement, now 1st and fourth dont grind but that noise is still there just as it was before, Idk if I can get it on an audio recording but I could try

Quote Originally Posted by O2RX Wagon View Post
    its in every gear at every rpm, a mechanic once told me the cases flex and the trans is not rebuildable (wow that's not a word, should be) because under high torque load like launch it'll twist and contact shaft bearings, but the only alternative is the subaru replacement part (there was a bulletin by subaru about these transmissions in the 02s and 03s i believe) but the new one is $4,000 I couldnt afford it so i opted for a guts replacement, now 1st and fourth dont grind but that noise is still there just as it was before, Idk if I can get it on an audio recording but I could try
    That's a bummer you spent all that money to have to do it again! Good luck with it.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph