Air whine at 3000RPM
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Air whine at 3000RPM within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, I have an 02 wrx, stock(for now). I was heading home the other day and went to pass ...

Air whine at 3000RPM

Hello all, I have an 02 wrx, stock(for now). I was heading home the other day and went to pass a srt-4 neon, I down shifted to 3rd and accelerated, all was fine until I got a massive rush of air and lost most boost(dropped from 14.5 to 5-8psi) I backed off the throttle up shifted and continued home. I have no check engine light, but now every time I hit the 3000rpm line under heavier acceleration I get that loud external, what sounds like a rush of air. I have taken the inter-cooler off and checked for a disconnected hose, but have found none. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks a bunch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

leak test your intake (sounds like you looked for leaks), look for exhaust leaks too. Could easily be exhaust pre-turbo.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you're losing boost pressure, then its something on the intake side whether its pre-turbo or post turbo but probably post turbo since it was a huge drop in pressure. What modifications do you have?
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Mods

No mods at this time..other than an autometer boost gauge and turboxs BOV. Im thinking maybe I just split a hose since I can't find any hoses off anywhere. I don't lose all boost, and I truly don't know how much I lose because once I hear that noise I back off, I don't want to push it and cause more problems.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue02 View Post
    No mods at this time..other than an autometer boost gauge and turboxs BOV. Im thinking maybe I just split a hose since I can't find any hoses off anywhere. I don't lose all boost, and I truly don't know how much I lose because once I hear that noise I back off, I don't want to push it and cause more problems.
    Could be the intercooler hose off the top mount cracking...the blow off valve leaking. I would suggest taking off the intercooler at least to look at everything.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Intercooler

So I had the intercooler off today, didn't look like anything was wrong with the hoses, I assume that from the noise I hear it will be a large hole. I thought maybe the BOV was releasing early for some reason so I added another washer to it, but that didn't help at all. Do you think a gasket on the y-pipe or BOV would cause a large rush of air to by pass? Is there anyway I can record the noise and post it on the forum, not sure what options are available here.

I don't know much to help you here, but a BOV on an 02 isn't the best idea. It creates a rich condition between shifts that cannot be tuned out. Honestly a stock intake with the silencer delete will give you a decent amount of the BOV noise, but you are releasing measured air into the atmosphere. Since it's already been measured, the correct amount of fuel for that air has been metered out, and then before the air reaches the engine, it's released...but the engine doesn't know that, and can't compensate. This is not causing your problem, but it could lend its hand to other problems later on.

I should have stated that my BOV is a 50/50 BOV designed for recirculating waste-gate systems. It feeds the proper amount of air back into the system and releases the rest. I agree with your statement and that is why I chose this one. It's made by turboxs and is called a 50/50 if you would like to check it out.

I have a a gut feeling here so bear with me, did you check the clamp on the turbo inlet hose, that hose over time and mileage gets all worn out and I have seen more than a handful torn/soaked with oil...

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue02 View Post
    It feeds the proper amount of air back into the system and releases the rest.
    The proper amount of air is all of the air. BOV's are bad, unless you're on SD.

Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

So the issue is resolved after some major f@#king around. First off there was a tare in a small hose that came off my boost gauge, after taring apart the TMIC and all the connecting hoses, I put it all back to gether and still had a massive air noise under boost. come to find out I had forgoten to tighten one of the y-pipe bolts on the turbo side of the intercooler. Just goes to show you, you need to check and double check everytime. Thanks for all the insite and wisdom.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    The proper amount of air is all of the air. BOV's are bad, unless you're on SD.
    I was researching this very topic today. I was thinking of replacing my stock BOV with a fully recirculating one. (like this - Forge Recirculation Valve Subaru WRX 2009-2011 / Legacy GT 2005-2009 at RallySportDirect.com) Is there any downside to not venting any air to atmosphere?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    I was researching this very topic today. I was thinking of replacing my stock BOV with a fully recirculating one. (like this - Forge Recirculation Valve Subaru WRX 2009-2011 / Legacy GT 2005-2009 at RallySportDirect.com) Is there any downside to not venting any air to atmosphere?
    less noise?

Seriously, just like is the case with the stock BPV, the ECU is designed to work with no air losses in the system - including air lost to the atmosphere with a BOV. Again, the proper amount of air to release back into the system is all of the air.

I Support ClubWRX
    May sound like a silly question, but does the stock BPV vent/release any air to the atmosphere?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

zip, nada, nothing.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.