Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

This is a discussion on Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I go to the mechanic and ask for a timing belt replacement, is it a good idea to get ...

Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

When I go to the mechanic and ask for a timing belt replacement, is it a good idea to get the water pump replaced too? And is the mechanic responsible for replacing any tensioners/pullies that may be bad?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by asilva4877 View Post
    When I go to the mechanic and ask for a timing belt replacement, is it a good idea to get the water pump replaced too?
    Yes.

And is the mechanic responsible for replacing any tensioners/pullies that may be bad?
    No. To make them responsible for doing anything, pay them to do so.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 06-15-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

do the hydraulic tensioner too and if you got the money idler pulleys but they're about 40-50$ a piece and i believe there are 3 of them i got all my stuff in my tool box getting ready to do it good luck with you timing belt
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

if the pullies do not rattle when spinning are they still good?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you feel a new pulley and a 100K old pulley you will see that a silent 100K old pulley is still good but you may also wonder for how long that will still be the case.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.