05 WRX hitting fuel cut w/detonation? help?

This is a discussion on 05 WRX hitting fuel cut w/detonation? help? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2005 wrx. Cobb SR intake, tanabe catback, AP stg1 Car runs great and strong in every gear until I hit ...

Exclamation 05 WRX hitting fuel cut w/detonation? help?

2005 wrx. Cobb SR intake, tanabe catback, AP stg1

Car runs great and strong in every gear until I hit between 4500-5k rpms, then out of no where no power, detonation I assume? (Sounds like popcorn popping...pop pop pop pop) happens and it won't accelerate anymore.

I have an aem digi boost gauge, I've seen it read as high as 16psi before this happens

I've read this is the ecu cutting fuel? How can I remedy this? Id appreciate any help I've been racking my brain for quite some time

Thanks everyone
    Anthony
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It does the same thing flashed back to stock as well, and it still spikes around 16psi before cutting out....
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

Oh, another thing. I did go to clean the BCS and I followed the instructions to connect test mode etc and I didn't feel a pulse or hear any noise from the stock bcs...
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like misfiring, not a fuel cut. A fuel cut would be from overboosting or hitting a speed limiter where it just completely stops accelerating. Are you getting a flashing check engine light?

If you car drives fine otherwise, then its probably nothing catastrophic...check your spark plugs and go from there. Most of the time misfire situations are spark related (if its not an actual engine internal issue).
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

I am overboosting...in the OP i stated my gauge is reading 17psi right before it cuts out and its not tapering off like its supposed to...snppand when it hits that point the car will not accellerate any more. To me it sounds like fuel cut. I originally checked plugs coils and wires and changed the plugs gapped oem spec ngks. Car runs great till the cut out. No cel no misfire cels and def no flashing cels.

Now my question is. Is this fuel cut due to my car overboosting?And if so how can i remedy it..is my boost solenoid shot more than likely..its on the stock 2 port btw.

Thanks guys
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have anyone around you willing to swap in their known good BCS for a trial run? That would be the most inexpensive way of finding out if it's the problem.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

doh! i could prob find someone and do that. i have a buddy with an 06 rex thatd be willing to thing is....are the BCS on an 05wrx and 06wrx the same? lemme know if anyone has a clue.

Oh another thing i should include,. I do have a CEL. I forget the # but its for "Idle RPM higher than expected value" my idles real jump cold start like 2100 then drops to 1500 then to 900-1k ish and idles rough but not "misfire" kinda rough ya know. Ive read about it being the IACV which i wanna clean to see if it helps but cant get the 2 darn screws off on top

Can a bad IAC cause or be a part of this issue im having???
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Do you have anyone around you willing to swap in their known good BCS for a trial run? That would be the most inexpensive way of finding out if it's the problem.
    Well..I believe I may be getting somewhere here. I was using the search and found a way to test/clean the stock bcs by making two leads and connecting the ground on the bcs to the negative battery terminal and positive to positive and if its functioning properly it should click and you can hear/feel it open and close....well...i tried multiple times, wrapped the wire around the connectors, and tried different wires just to be sure, and I heard NOTHING not even the faintest sound and no sound of it opening/closing...so in conclusion, does this mean my stock BCS is shot, and I need to replace it?

btw. thanks for all your help guys
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

bump for help plz
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry I thought 17 PSI was normal for you.

If you're overboosting and you're running the factory BCS, then thats probably it.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly, not sure if they are the same part. I would think they are though, considering it's just a standard part needed for every turbo vehicle, and all of them are set up the same with Subaru.

Your idle problem is very likely to be caused by the IACV issue, however your overboosting and fuel cut is definitely not. Fuel cut is a set perameter in the ECU, and it is based on PSI measurements. If you exceed the limit, it will begin to cut fuel in order get RPM's and airflow under control rapidly. I've seen this happen with a few vehicles I've looked at that weren't tuned properly.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    What engine management are you using and what are your mods?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S