Engine and turbo questions

This is a discussion on Engine and turbo questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, I'm a new proud owner of a 2002 subbie and I just had a couple of questions concerning ...

Engine and turbo questions

Hey everyone,

I'm a new proud owner of a 2002 subbie and I just had a couple of questions concerning the engine and turbo. First, I've noticed that my boost gauge only hits about .07 mPa. Is that the max for a stock turbo? I've only filled the car up once and that was with the 89 fuel, I now know that I should use premium only. Will that make much of a difference? I am also concerned about how fast the engine heats up. I'll only be driving it for about a mile or so and by the time I shut it off, the heat coming off the engine is incredible. My oil and coolant levels are fine, is it just the turbo that heats up quickly?

Thanks,
    Nicolas

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    There is a label that says "Premium only" on you gas cap. Your manual says "required" not "recommended". Therefore, you only use premium, period. What difference? How much does an engine cost? How much is a few less mpg worth to you?

Don't worry about engine heat.

you car's computer is programed to run off of the octane levels found in premium gas so running with a lower grade will effect the car's preformance level. as for the heating part they do tend to warm up faster then non turbo cars.

My stock 2007 wrx warms up to normal operating temps within 5 minutes of driving. I have never owned a vehicle that warms as quickly as this one. As long as its not overheating you are fine. I've got an oil temp gauge (drain plug) and have noticed that the oil (synthetic mobil 1) takes a bit longer to warm up,. Once it does though it ranges between 140F - 180F depending on how its being driven in the summer (haven't had the car long enough to know what temps will read out in the winter).

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting. This is why nearly all forced induction engines require high octane fuel.

the stock 2.0L engine has a compression ratio of 8.0:1 with no boost. At stock boost, 13.5psi the compression ratio nearly doubles. .7bar is equivalent to 10 psi. My advice: Don't use the turbo at all and you should be fine.. or buy some octane boost and balance it out,. still though, take it easy until you get a new tank of gas.

I have a random question. I picked up a 2008 WRX a little over a week ago. It normally idles around 500 RPMs roughly. But sometimes when I start it up it will idle at around 1500 RPMs. Once the engine is warmed up it'll drop back down. But is it normal for it to idle a little higher when first started.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, every car idles high during cold starts.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED