Possible Boost/Intake Leak?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Possible Boost/Intake Leak? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I think I may have a boost or intake leak. This problem started about a month after I bought ...

Possible Boost/Intake Leak?

Hi,
    I think I may have a boost or intake leak. This problem started about a month after I bought the car. It's kind of hesitant around 3-4k rpms. It emits a light whoosh sound from the passenger side of the engine bay when starting to build boost (no it's not just the turbo building boost, the car didn't do that when I bought it). Also, it won't hold boost (spikes around 13.9 psi then goes to 8-10 psi). My AFR seem normal, 14.4-14.7 when cruising, 11.3 when WOT. It's a 2002 WRX, fewer than 60k miles, besides the stage 1 tune with a Cobb accessport it is stock, one previous owner. Here is what the sound compares to:

YouTube - ‪2002 Subaru WRX. Possible Boost Leak?‬‏

Also, about a month and a half ago, I threw a P0442 cel. It went away a few days later by itself. The cel came back again about two weeks ago, I cleared it, and it hasn't come back. I don't know if this cel is related but any help or troubleshooting would help.

P.S. - I have searched for this problem on this site but all of the sounds and symptoms I have found seem to be different than mine. Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    FYI-On the stock turbo boost is going to drop/taper after you hit peak torque and continue to redline. If you think it has a boost leak then test it. There are several DIY methods on here and other sites. It require you to have an air compressor with adjustable pressure regulator and a an adaptor to fill/hold the pressure.
    Last edited by Donkey; 06-12-2011 at 09:15 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.