Possible Boost/Intake Leak?

This is a discussion on Possible Boost/Intake Leak? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I think I may have a boost or intake leak. This problem started about a month after I bought ...

Possible Boost/Intake Leak?

Hi,
    I think I may have a boost or intake leak. This problem started about a month after I bought the car. It's kind of hesitant around 3-4k rpms. It emits a light whoosh sound from the passenger side of the engine bay when starting to build boost (no it's not just the turbo building boost, the car didn't do that when I bought it). Also, it won't hold boost (spikes around 13.9 psi then goes to 8-10 psi). My AFR seem normal, 14.4-14.7 when cruising, 11.3 when WOT. It's a 2002 WRX, fewer than 60k miles, besides the stage 1 tune with a Cobb accessport it is stock, one previous owner. Here is what the sound compares to:

YouTube - ‪2002 Subaru WRX. Possible Boost Leak?‬‏

Also, about a month and a half ago, I threw a P0442 cel. It went away a few days later by itself. The cel came back again about two weeks ago, I cleared it, and it hasn't come back. I don't know if this cel is related but any help or troubleshooting would help.

P.S. - I have searched for this problem on this site but all of the sounds and symptoms I have found seem to be different than mine. Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    FYI-On the stock turbo boost is going to drop/taper after you hit peak torque and continue to redline. If you think it has a boost leak then test it. There are several DIY methods on here and other sites. It require you to have an air compressor with adjustable pressure regulator and a an adaptor to fill/hold the pressure.
    Last edited by Donkey; 06-12-2011 at 08:15 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S