Stock 2007 TR WRX max boost at 10-11 psi ??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock 2007 TR WRX max boost at 10-11 psi ?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I live in Salt lake city Utah and Just bought a 2007 WRX TR with 23k miles that is completely ...

Stock 2007 TR WRX max boost at 10-11 psi ??

I live in Salt lake city Utah and Just bought a 2007 WRX TR with 23k miles that is completely stock. Always with 91 octane

Just started noticing yesterday that I may not be reaching full boost so i thought i had better ask about it for what the Subaru dealership mechanics said is completely different from what i have been reading on forums.

The issue..?: Max boost reached at WOT in 2nd-4th gear is right around 10 psi

Google Answers: Max psi for a stock 2007 wrx should be right at 1 bar or 14.xx psi.. Except for in first gear because there just isnít enough load on the engine.

Subaru Dealership Mechanic Answer: Max boost should be .7 bars (.8 on a good day) in any gear at WOT.

The only ďmodĒ I have done is the Snorkus Delete and a drop in K&N filter.
    I have checked over all the vacuum lines I can find and they all seem to be in tip top shape. I have read there could be an issue with the boost solenoid or that it could have a vacuum leak. I have a Prosport Boost gage and at idle it sits stable right 23inHg.

The car feels like it running strong and boosts right up to 10psi in a hurry but then nothingÖ.. Is this normal? Oh, the car has never thrown a CEL so I really donít think itís in limp mode.

Please guys give me some feedback, Iím quite concerned about it and worried for my engine.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The mechanic is right, you should be seeing ~10.5 +/- 0.X. (~0.7 bar).

I can't imagine how flat a stock WRX feels at your elevation, I get sad that I'm at a mere 3500'. The OEM turbo gets out of it's efficiency range fairly quickly as well, and elevation doesn't help that either.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It could easily be a small air leak that is occuring. Turbo cars are like that...the smallest leak can cause a noticeable difference. Go through and make sure anything with clamps is tight (heck loosen them and then tighten them back) and try it after that. Also (not really related to what is happening) clean your MAF just because a lot of people don't do this on a regular basis.

How long have you had your filter btw?
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    It could easily be a small air leak that is occuring. Turbo cars are like that...the smallest leak can cause a noticeable difference. Go through and make sure anything with clamps is tight (heck loosen them and then tighten them back) and try it after that. Also (not really related to what is happening) clean your MAF just because a lot of people don't do this on a regular basis.

How long have you had your filter btw?
    Two days on the drop in K&N. When i put it in the filter/removed the snorkus i performed a hard reset.

I didnít even think of cleaning the MAF sensor,.. Do you just basically pop it out and clean it with rubbing alcohol or what?

I Support ClubWRX
    Stock '07 WRX:
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Stock '07 WRX:
    You just answered all my questions and gave me piece of mind all in one pretty graph! Thank you sir!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    Two days on the drop in K&N. When i put it in the filter/removed the snorkus i performed a hard reset.

I didn’t even think of cleaning the MAF sensor,.. Do you just basically pop it out and clean it with rubbing alcohol or what?
    Go to your local auto parts store and get MAF Cleaner...you spray it downwards on the IAT probe and the MAF sensor is further down. Let it dry for about 15-20 min and then you're done. Don't physically touch it though, just spray it.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our featured brands

Go to your local auto parts store and get MAF Cleaner...you spray it downwards on the IAT probe and the MAF sensor is further down. Let it dry for about 15-20 min and then you're done. Don't physically touch it though, just spray it.
    Thanks for the advice! Any other little tid bits of info that you can share? I love my car and want to do right by it. I was planning on picking up some 4 gage audio cable after work to create a grounding mod.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the advice! Any other little tid bits of info that you can share? I love my car and want to do right by it. I was planning on picking up some 4 gage audio cable after work to create a grounding mod.
    Don't waste your money on grounding kits.

I'm a huge maintenance freak so there are a bunch of things I do. The biggest thing is I use Amsoil Powerfoam routinely to help clean out the combustion chamber. Works great everytime no matter how many miles I wait.

I also routinely clean my throttle body (possible to do mine since its a mechanical throttle body and not electronic).
    Our featured brands

Don't waste your money on grounding kits.

I'm a huge maintenance freak so there are a bunch of things I do. The biggest thing is I use Amsoil Powerfoam routinely to help clean out the combustion chamber. Works great everytime no matter how many miles I wait.

I also routinely clean my throttle body (possible to do mine since its a mechanical throttle body and not electronic).
    today i cleaned the MAF,.. it was black as you can well imagine. I bought $10 of 8 gage wire and connecters but havent yet made the grounding kit. I installed front and rear strut bars (rear one was a *****!). I went to Orilely Auto parts, Napa, AutoZone and two different bike shops and NO ONE had even heard of Amsoil Pwerfoam.. Granted i do live in utah so its kinda expected that people will be alittle retarted but damn! Where do you get your powerfoam? I think i'm going to have to order it online.

Are there any other little maintenance things you can think of? I just purchased a catted Invidia divorced downpipe and an Invidia N1 cat back exhaust.. parts should be here by wednesday. Say, what do you guys think of larger TMICs? Can they be installed without a tune? Is the stock wrx TMIC adequate for stage 2 tune? Basically i'm asking if its worth paying the $200 for a gigantic ebay TMIC.. this is the one i was looking at; (02-07 Subaru WRX STi Top Mount Intercooler+Y Pipe TMIC | eBay)

Thanks for the advice guys!

I Support ClubWRX
    today i cleaned the MAF,.. it was black as you can well imagine. I bought $10 of 8 gage wire and connecters but havent yet made the grounding kit. I installed front and rear strut bars (rear one was a *****!). I went to Orilely Auto parts, Napa, AutoZone and two different bike shops and NO ONE had even heard of Amsoil Pwerfoam.. Granted i do live in utah so its kinda expected that people will be alittle retarted but damn! Where do you get your powerfoam? I think i'm going to have to order it online.

Are there any other little maintenance things you can think of? I just purchased a catted Invidia divorced downpipe and an Invidia N1 cat back exhaust.. parts should be here by wednesday. Say, what do you guys think of larger TMICs? Can they be installed without a tune? Is the stock wrx TMIC adequate for stage 2 tune? Basically i'm asking if its worth paying the $200 for a gigantic ebay TMIC.. this is the one i was looking at; (02-07 Subaru WRX STi Top Mount Intercooler+Y Pipe TMIC | eBay)

Thanks for the advice guys!
    Yeah you would only find Amsoil products from an Authorized Dealer. I happen to be one. PM me for more info and I can set you up to ship it out to you.

As far as the Top Mount from Ebay...I personally don't trust that its of quality care. Most top mounts are in the 600 range and to spend less than half of that would make me concerned.

You shouldn't need to re-tune for a Top Mount change.
    Our featured brands

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My '07 WRX hit 1.0 bar (~14 psi) all day long in 4th and 5th gear WOT before I did anything to it. I live in Vermont, elevation usually around 1000 feet. You really can't find 91 octane up here, so I only put 93 in it.

BTW... My 07 was a PIA with the K&N filter. It was really hard to get the airbox to clamp shut because the rubber outside of it didn't fit perfect in the box. I think this allowed air to be pulled in without going though the filter. After about 2 months of using it, I had to replace the MAF. The dealer fixed it under warranty (they don't clean them, just replace), but I can't help but think it was the K&N not allowing the box to seal right. After that, I replaced it with a standard air filter and never had the problem again.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy
    Say, what do you guys think of larger TMICs? Can they be installed without a tune? Is the stock wrx TMIC adequate for stage 2 tune? Basically i'm asking if its worth paying the $200 for a gigantic ebay TMIC..
    An aftermarket TMIC can provide more power (better cooling) and faster spool (lower pressure drop) when tuned for. You can install them without a tune, but you're not going to see the benefits you would with a tune.

StageII tunes are for stock TMIC cars. Yes, they're adequate.

As for the eBay TMIC:
    EBay TMIC tests - NASIOC
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    My '07 WRX hit 1.0 bar (~14 psi) all day long in 4th and 5th gear WOT before I did anything to it. I live in Vermont, elevation usually around 1000 feet. You really can't find 91 octane up here, so I only put 93 in it.

BTW... My 07 was a PIA with the K&N filter. It was really hard to get the airbox to clamp shut because the rubber outside of it didn't fit perfect in the box. I think this allowed air to be pulled in without going though the filter. After about 2 months of using it, I had to replace the MAF. The dealer fixed it under warranty (they don't clean them, just replace), but I can't help but think it was the K&N not allowing the box to seal right. After that, I replaced it with a standard air filter and never had the problem again.
    Ahh yes but the highest point in Vermont is Mt. Mansfield @ 4393 ft above sea level. Salt Lake City's elevation is 4390 feet above sea level. I don't know if that would make a difference of 3psi but it might. I talked to a local tuner and he said most likely the car just needs to be re-tuned.. That the ECU isn't demanding the boost and so the engine is not delivering.. or that it could be a bad solenoid.. Ether case he said he could fix it. (waiting on my exhaust to arrive before I take it to him)

I find it surprising that the K&N failed your MAF.. I will double check the rubber seams and make sure the box is closing fully over it. Thanks for the advice!.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    An aftermarket TMIC can provide more power (better cooling) and faster spool (lower pressure drop) when tuned for. You can install them without a tune, but you're not going to see the benefits you would with a tune.

StageII tunes are for stock TMIC cars. Yes, they're adequate.
    As for the eBay TMIC:
    EBay TMIC tests - NASIOC
    Thank you for the info. I think you saved me a lot of headache. I will look into an sti TMIC.. maybe can find one used. Cheap things on eBay usually seem to be too good to be true.

Quick question; are the restrictor pills directional? Can they go bad? Can you buy a new one at any general auto store if they do? Also, is there a way to possibly clean the boost solenoid?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Spiffy; 06-12-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    restrictor pills are not directional, but you need the right one with the right turbo.

You can try adjusting the wastegate actuator arm, it may be the wrong length and not fully shutting the wastegate. If you search this forum, you will find how to do it. Pretty easy - just have to take the intercooler and heatshield off.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast