2004 WRX won't start with car in park, works in neutral

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX won't start with car in park, works in neutral within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2004 WRX, no performance mods/110k miles/automatic trans. I do, however, have an automatic starter. This problem started ...

2004 WRX won't start with car in park, works in neutral

I have a 2004 WRX, no performance mods/110k miles/automatic trans.
    I do, however, have an automatic starter.

This problem started out of the blue about a 2 years ago, I would try to use my keyless ignition and the headlights would turn on, car would try to start, then couldn't. It does not happen all the time, and I've yet to pinpoint when it will happen/won't.

After dealing with my car alarm/autostart installers, we replaced the unit, but the problem persisted.

The only fix is, I can put my key in a turn it forward, with foot on brake, put the car in neutral (this is sometimes difficult), then once car is in neutral, I can start the car. This solves the problem every time.

It seems like my car doesn't realize it's in park or something.

Thoughts?
    2004 WRB WRX
    Interior: Momo shifter knob, door sills, red bulbs on HVAC, fog light, keyring, clock
    Exterior: OEM spoiler, sideskirts, red brake calipers (G2 set), cleared headlights (all white), Blue "i" emblem
    Tint: 30% front/side 20% back
    Audio: Kenwood MPV 7019 head unit w/ mp3 adapter
    Power: OEM SPT catback exhaust system, K&N air filter

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check the park switch.

Did a search for park switch and read through all 5 pages of returned threads.

Only thing i found practical was NO Start :^(

Can you steer me in better direction? Or should I just take to my mechanic?

Thanks in advance
    2004 WRB WRX
    Interior: Momo shifter knob, door sills, red bulbs on HVAC, fog light, keyring, clock
    Exterior: OEM spoiler, sideskirts, red brake calipers (G2 set), cleared headlights (all white), Blue "i" emblem
    Tint: 30% front/side 20% back
    Audio: Kenwood MPV 7019 head unit w/ mp3 adapter
    Power: OEM SPT catback exhaust system, K&N air filter

You could try disconnecting the park switch and see if that makes a difference and if not then short across the connector to complete the circuit and then try that. If either one of these works then you have found the problem.