Changed Air Filter and now engine is on?

This is a discussion on Changed Air Filter and now engine is on? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Everyone, I have a 2011 WRX and last night I changed my stock air filter (super dirty due to ...

Changed Air Filter and now engine is on?

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2011 WRX and last night I changed my stock air filter (super dirty due to construction near work) with a K&N air filter and this morning when I turned my car on my check engine light was on and cruise control light was blinking...

I read in a bunch of threads that this could be due to oil from the K&N filter getting on the MAF sensor and that I should clean it.

However, the thing is while installing the air filter I was on the phone fighting with the GF and apparently I forgot to plug the little wire next to the air filter back in (is this the wire for the MAF sensor.... =(.... and only noticed it this morning when I but the hood to check what was wrong. I put the original filter back in and plugged the wire back in this time but the check engine/cruise control lights are still on... what should i do? I'm hesitant about cleaning the MAF sensor because of the people who said it can be easily broken....

thanks in advance guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Get the code read. Places like AutoZone will lend you a code reader. Post the PXXXX value.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Should turn off when you shut the engine off and not come back on when you re-start it. If not take the battery wire off to re-set the ECU when you shut the engine off again and it shouldn't come back on again if that was the problem. (unplugged MAF sensor)...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Just put the k&n back in, make sure everything is pluged in, disconnect the negative side of the battery for a minute connect it back up and it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiman View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 2011 WRX and last night I changed my stock air filter (super dirty due to construction near work) with a K&N air filter and this morning when I turned my car on my check engine light was on and cruise control light was blinking...

I read in a bunch of threads that this could be due to oil from the K&N filter getting on the MAF sensor and that I should clean it.

However, the thing is while installing the air filter I was on the phone fighting with the GF and apparently I forgot to plug the little wire next to the air filter back in (is this the wire for the MAF sensor.... =(.... and only noticed it this morning when I but the hood to check what was wrong. I put the original filter back in and plugged the wire back in this time but the check engine/cruise control lights are still on... what should i do? I'm hesitant about cleaning the MAF sensor because of the people who said it can be easily broken....

thanks in advance guys
    hahahahahahaa!!! I'm laughing because I've done this to myself a couple times on my '10.. put the K&N back in and run it (make sure you plug the maf sensor back in though) .. it'll sort itself out in a day or so. Since its not a hard code it will re-set after a few driving cycles. First time I did it I was kicking myself but its no big deal.

As for cleaning the maf.. dude it takes a while driving on it to foul it up if it does at all. I've always been really careful with re-oiling mine and inspecting the maf every so often.. so far its not been fouled and I've got a good 48K mi running the K&N.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!