Topping off "Super Coolant"
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Topping off "Super Coolant" within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought my 2011 WRX last week and noticed my coolant level is a little low (just under the ...

dmk

Question Topping off "Super Coolant"

I just bought my 2011 WRX last week and noticed my coolant level is a little low (just under the low mark on the reservoir). I figured I'd top it off to the full mark and check it periodically to see if it stays there. Maybe it had an air bubble in the system and settled during transport or driving.

My question is, can I just top it off with distilled water, or do I need to buy a jug of Subaru's "Super Coolant"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is it low with the car off? Check the level when it warmed up and running first
    2011 WRX DGM Sedan

dmk
    The manual says check level "while the engine is cool". Then again, I just now noticed it also says "Check the coolant level at each fuel stop".

I check it again after my commute home from work....

But the question still remains, is the Subaru coolant compatible with distilled water? The manual seems to recommend straight coolant.
    Last edited by dmk; 06-06-2011 at 02:11 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    The blue coolant is prediluted, hopefully in distilled water. I have used either distilled water or blue coolant premixed for such small volumes. The % will not be affected much at all as you are unlikely to add more than, say, 300 ml.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If you are in a warmer climate, then distilled water is fine. If you are furthur north then 50/50 is the better option.

I Support ClubWRX
    The manual recommends using Subaru Blue pre-diluted coolant.I would stick to the manual.And since the car is just a week old why don't you contact your dealer & tell him of your concern.Its obviously not your fault.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

dmk
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The blue coolant is prediluted, hopefully in distilled water. I have used either distilled water or blue coolant premixed for such small volumes. The % will not be affected much at all as you are unlikely to add more than, say, 300 ml.
    Thanks, that's the answer I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    The manual recommends using Subaru Blue pre-diluted coolant.I would stick to the manual.And since the car is just a week old why don't you contact your dealer & tell him of your concern.Its obviously not your fault.
    I would do that, but they'll just say bring it in and the closest Subaru dealer is a two hour drive.

This appears to be a very minor issue. If it loses more, I'll call the dealer, but for now I'm just not familiar with the new high tech coolants and wasn't sure if the Subaru stuff was glycol based and water compatible or not.
    Last edited by dmk; 06-06-2011 at 04:30 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Fred Bean sells the coolant you are looking for Subaru Super Blue Coolant
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

dmk
    Thanks for the link rage.

It's odd that they say "Subaru Coolant does not come pre-mixed, it needs to be diluted 50/50 with water", but the jug in the picture says it's pre-mixed "do not add water".

I Support ClubWRX
    The older green coolant was not premixed. The newer blue coolant is. Your car almost certainly uses blue.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Dragging up an ancient thread, but I noticed that my wife's brand new 2013 Outback has a factory coolant fill level of just below 1/2 between full and low. My 1 year old 2011 wrx with 10k has a coolant level at an identical level.

My 2010 did too.. I'm assuming its for expansion purposes. Remember in the reservoir is actually a surplus of coolant. The system has what it needs internally to work properly if you can see coolant in the reservoir at all. That said, I bought a gallon of blue stuff and topped mine up a little. I figure It cant hurt to have some coolant on hand just in case. I usually keep a stock of needed fluids.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.