2011 wrx issue

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i noticed that my 2011 wrx starts to sputter at lower rpms once in a while. and i also began ...

2011 wrx issue

i noticed that my 2011 wrx starts to sputter at lower rpms once in a while. and i also began to notice that when i give the car gas and release the engine temp drops a bit and then goes back to normal. is this normal for the temp guage to move like that during driving? and the sputtering goes away if i give it gas. the sputtering happens when i keep a consistant rpm i have to give it a little gas to make it stop. what the hell is going on with the rex any advise thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can't really advise as to the sputtering...I think because of the timing of the car on the stock tune it does have a tendency to run up the RPMs briefly and then drop them again at idle. Perhaps a tune would fix that issue?

As far as the temp gauge goes...in my experience this is usually a problem with the coolant level in the car, or air being in the system. Top off your coolant and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, and someone else who understands electrical better than I could advise whether this might be the issue, I suppose it's possible that there is some kind of wiring issue with that gauge?
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Other bits of info that would be helpful are mods... I see that you're selling an AP, so are/were you running a different map?
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

I Support ClubWRX
    ^This. Also, define low rpms. And is this in any particular gear? All gears at the rpm?
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

I Support ClubWRX
    Any changes in gauge installs/uninstalls lately? As stated earlier, I think we'd benefit from more info on mods, past and present. Changing fueling stations would not cause your water temp gauge to fluctuate.
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Which stage 1 map were you using and what grade gas are you putting in now? It wouldn't hurt just to flash it back to see if the sputter goes away. That would at least tell you if the tune is part of the problem. Totally stumped on the temp gauge though.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

why are you selling your brand new car?!?!?!?!

when you say low rpms, how low do you mean? the car is going to sputter if you are well below 1000 rpm and getting close to stalling. if it is sputtering anywhere higher than that i would probably just take it to a dealer. everything is under warranty still as long as there are no dealership service managers trolling this forum and finding confirmation that you reflashed a couple times...
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

selling to get an older sti and a dd that gets good gas mileage like a civic or a bike. and no im not under 1k when it sputters its around 2k sometimes even 3k. its a jerking feeling like the car is bouncing back and forth then starts going when i give it gas. hasnt done it today though so maybe it was bad gas. I am still having the temp guage issue though but the car runs fine i think the guage is messed up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Like somebody mentioned,did you check the coolant level in the reservoir?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

bring it to a dealer.