What Should I do
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What Should I do within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 03' WRX with 175k on it she's been a good daily for me but i have another ...

Angry What Should I do

I have a 03' WRX with 175k on it she's been a good daily for me but i have another daily and want to start doing some work to her. I know my car has high mileage so I was wondering if I should swap out the motor put the same one in with lower miles or just rebuild this current one or do a different motor swap any ideas?. Im not looking for crazy HP just around 300-350 something fun to mess around in and mod any ideas? Or should I just buy a newer WRX / STI and stick with that. SO CONFUSED ON WHAT I SHOULD DO ... or i was just considering buying a 350Z and selling the subaru

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would fix up the 03 WRX.
    1. Its paid for so the extra money that would go to payments and insurance can go to mods.
    2. It will be easy to find great deals on used parts to save money on the build.
    3. The high mileage will just be your excuse to upgrade everything.

How is the body/interior on the 03?

If all that is in good order and you have some nice supporting suspension mods, KEEP THE BUGEYE alive!

I say nay on the 350Z... I haven't driven the new-new ones, but the recent years 350Z's handling can't compare to my 07 (suspension is done up a bit though) and it just doesn't have the same huevos.

The only Nissan anyone should buy is the GT-R lol (just need to get the income up to that level haha)
    2007 SWP WRX - Blouch EVO III 16g'd - 320 WHP/330 TQ, tuned by Jorge @ P&L Motorsports
    --------- &
    2002 WRX Wagon - The DD, the workhorse, the snowboard-trip-whip, the turbo grocery getter

Always remember... life is short.

Thanks guys appreciate the advice so I'll keep it but should I swap out the motor put a newer one in? Or just put in a completely different motor?

I Support ClubWRX
    Do a compression test.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

you could drop in a 2.5 liter...

I have both... and the 2.0 is just lacking in the bottom end of the power band, then again... it has 156K miles on it

Tough call... you can make your power numbers goal with either, but it will certainly take less to get there with a 2.5 liter motor.
    2007 SWP WRX - Blouch EVO III 16g'd - 320 WHP/330 TQ, tuned by Jorge @ P&L Motorsports
    --------- &
    2002 WRX Wagon - The DD, the workhorse, the snowboard-trip-whip, the turbo grocery getter

Always remember... life is short.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I say tear the motor down, send the heads to a reputable machine shop to have them rebuilt, buy an ej257 short block along with some forged pistons, and send that to the machine shop to be honed, decked, assembled.. whatever needs to be done.

In the mean time have your exhaust manifolds port and polished, buy an uppipe and full turbo back exhaust. Then get a good quality TMIC, some 750cc injectors, a Walbro fuel pump, and a Blouch 18g-XT or something similar sized.

Then you're going to want to start saving for a new transmission, clutch, and flywheel.. and a tune.

Not to mention it's time to upgrade the suspension, replace practically every bushing on the car, and start looking at big brake kits.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I say tear the motor down, send the heads to a reputable machine shop to have them rebuilt, buy an ej257 short block along with some forged pistons, and send that to the machine shop to be honed, decked, assembled.. whatever needs to be done.

In the mean time have your exhaust manifolds port and polished, buy an uppipe and full turbo back exhaust. Then get a good quality TMIC, some 750cc injectors, a Walbro fuel pump, and a Blouch 18g-XT or something similar sized.

Then you're going to want to start saving for a new transmission, clutch, and flywheel.. and a tune.

Not to mention it's time to upgrade the suspension, replace practically every bushing on the car, and start looking at big brake kits.
    thanks bud good info

I say do this^

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    175k? You're gonna need to redo more than just the motor. Your driveline is going to be fatigued and all of your bushings are going to be worn out. Any type of rubber hose or seal might potentially be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    175k? You're gonna need to redo more than just the motor. Your driveline is going to be fatigued and all of your bushings are going to be worn out. Any type of rubber hose or seal might potentially be a problem.

truth^

Again thanks so you sure this is still all worth it to keep the bug eye?

It depends on what you want personally. Fixing up the bugeye is going to be labor intensive and expensive. And for the time/money spent you would probably be better off buying a new car. But then again, to me, a well done bugeye is something more special than a new car off the line that everyone else can get. Just take a look into my build thread.

Looking back, the responsible thing for me to do would have been to sell my bugeye and invest in a new car. But the responsible thing and the fun thing are often two different choices. You can see what I chose to do.

Thanks appreciate the advice guess I have a lot to think about

i say just keep driving it until something gets worn out. continue to do the maintenance of course.

my car [bugeye] has 206,000 miles on the original clutch still. and i don't take it easy on that car. it still amazes me.

mod, then drive, break, then fix, then mod..... repeat 5 times.
    --- 1999 Impreza WRX STI JDM Version 5 Sedan ----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.