How many miles is too many to buy a used WRX?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How many miles is too many to buy a used WRX? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have been searching for accurate information all over the forum and internet for how long a wrx ...

How many miles is too many to buy a used WRX?

Hey guys,

I have been searching for accurate information all over the forum and internet for how long a wrx lasts for... But can't seem to find anything concrete. So I will ask the owners.
    I am interested in buying a 2002 wrx but can only afford one that all ready has over 100,000-110,000 miles on it. Is this too many miles to buy a car I expect to last me for about 5, 6, or even 7 years? I take good care of my cars, but I can't be so sure about how my previous owner took care of my future WRX. Will one of these weathered WRXs do me well for years to come even though they have over 100,000 miles? If I change my oil religiously and take great care of her, will she last me? Will she still have that oh so amazing acceleration?
    Thanks guys so much!
    I am really excited to join the club.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    High Mileage Club
    check that out. its a list of all of our members who have over 100K mi

how long the car will last with high mileage is not something that can be answered. it really depends on how well its been maintained.

you can buy a car with 20,000 miles that has been beat to crap and will only last you another 10,000 miles and you might buy a car with 160,000 miles that has been perfectly taken care of and will go til 200k+

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    That really depends on how well the previous owners have maintained the car. If it has a fully documented maintenance history, then that's a good sign, but as with any used car, a full inspection will determine the life the car has lived and what it will need in the future. That being said, if the car is modified and has 100k+ miles on it, I would stay away no matter what. I would look for stock cars only, which can be hard to find, but you'll be better for it in the end.

Good luck!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    That's how old my car is.

The car will have needed a timing belt service (belt plus I did pump, thermostat, all rollers) as well as the 90K-scheduled all fluids service, and is coming up for a 120K-scheduled all fluids plus spark plugs service.

I plan to keep my car for a few more years -- I usually keep them past the point at which they are roadworthy frankly but if it doesn't last past 150K or 200K, it SHOULD by rights be the last Subaru I buy, and buying it will have been a mistake.

In the 21st century there is no reason to accept less longevity. The longevity claims of 200K should be nothing out of the ordinary. Hopefully, they are nothing out of the ordinary. We'll see.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks guys. I will check out that high mileage club. I really want one of these cars and always have, I just don't have the means to get my hands wrapped around the wheel of a younger one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by squirt View Post
    Thanks guys. I will check out that high mileage club. I really want one of these cars and always have, I just don't have the means to get my hands wrapped around the wheel of a younger one.
    Be careful with srevice records, authentic parts, and seek owners that are not "tUn3Rz" and be selective, they made plenty so take your time.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.