Engine Idling High

This is a discussion on Engine Idling High within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone had a problem of their engine gradually idling higher when sitting in stop and go traffic? More specifically ...

Engine Idling High

Has anyone had a problem of their engine gradually idling higher when sitting in stop and go traffic? More specifically in hotter weather? I have an 04 WRX and occassionally the engine will gradually start idling up. Sometimes up to 1,500RPM. Once traffic eases and I get moving, it returns back to 500RPM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is your check engine light on? It could be a few things but a CEL would help narrow it down. Mass air flow sensors, dirty air filter, O2 sensors are a few things that can cause it to idle like that.

no check engine light, o2 sensor was replaced about 4 months ago. I think my only option is to take it to the dealer so they can hook it up to the computer.

If your air conditioning is on high, or even on at all, it can increase your idle.
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

no ac either. I'm pretty up to speed on the general workings of my car. So I filtered out the obvious. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue.

Haha, wasn't trying to insult your intelligence by any means. Sometimes people need to be reminded of the obvious.
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

not a problem. just wanted to clarify for anyone else reading the thread.

Any luck on figuring this issue out? I'm having the same issue, I thought it was the car overheating but the temp gauge doesn't go up. What does heat soak do? It's the only other thing I can think of.

OP sounds like your cruise control cable tightening in the heat; not uncommon.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Nothing yet. I have an appt tomorrow at the dealership and they're going to hook it up to the computer to see what the deal. Will update as soon as they figure it out.

You know what, mudferret? I googled this problem, and that was the only thing I could seem to find. Is there a fix to this, or just something common and I have to live with it?

I Support ClubWRX
    The fix is to adjust the cable if increased cable tension due to temps is the issue. There was I believe a TSB for this too.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.