busted timing belt idler/timing belt/gears/bent valves.....what's involved?

This is a discussion on busted timing belt idler/timing belt/gears/bent valves.....what's involved? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I have an '02 WRX wagon that has a number of problems: 1) The timing belt idler froze ...

Exclamation busted timing belt idler/timing belt/gears/bent valves.....what's involved?

Hi all,

I have an '02 WRX wagon that has a number of problems:

1) The timing belt idler froze up...
    2) ...which chewed up the timing belt ...
    3) ...busted the gears...
    4)...and bent all my valves

Just a little bit of history about me and cars. I'd call myself a car owner educated in the basics; I do my own oil changes, coolant, know how my fuses work, and installed a block heaterÖ.etc.), but beyond that Iím a bit at the mercy of mechanics. I donít much know the lingo. Originally got the car with my fiancť (now ex) who wanted to do more with it, but now I just really enjoy it as a fun car to drive. I got it used in '07 and don't know what mods have been done on it (I know the wheels are after market, but beyond that nothing).

My questions are:

1) At a shop, what should I expect for labor hours for the replacing of the whole timing belt mechanism (idlers, gears, beltÖ.etc.)?

2) What should I expect for labor hours for the valve replacement?

3) What details are actually involved in replacing the valves and doing a good thorough job? (are new valves just put in place and thatís it?.... or?)

4) How would a good mechanic go about making sure everything is in good working order once the job is completely? In other words, beyond just taking the car for a few test drives are there typical procedures that a good mechanic goes through to make sure an engine that was disassembled has been put back together in good working order?

I think thatís all the questions I have for now. Thanks so much for your help .
    Last edited by belacane; 05-29-2011 at 12:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Q bit of a mess really. I cannot imagine less than ten hours and it would be ideal to pull the
    Motor.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    They way you test the car is by a compression/leak down test. And there is no way to give you an exact total because you need to know exactly how much damage is done. You could easily have a cracked/damaged piston as well. Plus the head will possibly need new valve seals and valve seats. Most automotive repair shops do not do their own machine work.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I lapped some new valves in the head of a forester a few months back, I did one side and I believe I got paid around 9 hours, the forester was the SOHC ( single over head cam ) 2.5. to put it in prospective for you I have done a couple of early DOHC head gaskets and I have always pulled the motor and we got 18 hours for that at around $125/hr. Of course I'm not exactly sure what the customer was charged...Somewhere in the vicinity of $2k I believe... I would do a leak down test and compression test before anything, with any luck I have seen one of these motors mistimed before and not bend valves( Its extremely rare but it has happened). As far as the details you have to remove the heads, find out which valves are bent ( unless of course you request all of them be replaced), disassemble the head, clean it thoroughly and make sure nothing is damaged, than you can pretty much start lapping new valves in, and of course personally I would do a valve adjustment when your all said and done, some of the existing buckets may be reusable.

I Support ClubWRX
    So while installing a newbelt would one be able to test or tell by feel? I have felt a normally timed motor and it rotates and fells a specific way. Or would you leakdown first?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.