Getting a whistle sound when depressing the clutch (first cold morning start only)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Getting a whistle sound when depressing the clutch (first cold morning start only) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, Perhaps someone can figure this out or knows what's up. Every cold start (only first start in the ...

Getting a whistle sound when depressing the clutch (first cold morning start only)

Hey everyone,

Perhaps someone can figure this out or knows what's up. Every cold start (only first start in the morning) my car whistles at the clutch catch point until the car warms up. Once warm no more sound. At first I thought it was the throw out bearing, but the sound is only in the morning, and also only when the weather is colder than 60 degrees.

The car is a 2011 WRX Hatch with SPT CBE, Rear endlinks/swaybar. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hooman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All honesty...without being able to hear the sound...we can't diagnose it. Make a vid and post it to give us an idea.

These cars make all sorts of noises at all sorts of times. Cold starts aren't the smoothest thing for any engine to handle in the grand scheme of things. So until it gets up to operating temps, it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Thanks for your response. I will take a vid once the weather cools down again.

In the mean time, is it best to let the car warm up before driving it? With my BMW, I was instructed to drive lightly until it warms up and not let it sit there and warm up. What is the proper warm up protocol for Subaru's?

So Cal eh? Doesn't sound like you will get cool weather anytime soon haha.

Just as any car, you don't want to go getting on the gas until it has a chance to cycle oil through the head and block. But with a turbo Surbaru...you especially want to make sure the oil gets a chance to get to operating temp generally before you start getting into boost.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

I also hear a slight whirring/squeaking noise when I press the clutch in the morning but only when I press it all the way to the floor. Has to be the throwout bearing!

Ok cool, ty for the info.

From what I understand, if it were the throwout bearing the sound would not go away.

Hello,

I just just coming in here to post this. How long before the sound goes away? I can let my car get to 1/4 up heat wise but it takes a good 5 minutes of OMGwhatiswrongwithmytranny baby driving before it goes away. I have to take it in to the dealer to get some side side skirt clips tommorrow. If they find anything I will update in here. I hope its nothing serious.

*09 wrx btw. Our Powertrains are the same so I guess what happens with me could apply to you as well.
    Last edited by inf3cti0n; 06-02-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: forgot to put in model year

VIDEO

Finally got a decent video with sound, let me know what you guys think please.

YouTube - ‪Cold start clutch whistle‬‏

that is the same exact noise I have. Hope its nothing serious.

I Support ClubWRX
    I know why it whistles ...

It doesn't know the words

Sorry, had to ... best of luck fixing the issue.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Mine has made a similar noise for as long as I can remember. It only makes the noise for a couple minutes when the car is cold and gets louder when the humidity is high.

I know others on NASIOC have reported the same issue but I don't think there was ever a solution. Honestly, I don't even worry about it anymore--just one of the many funny noises my Subaru makes.

I get that same noise on cold starts from time to time also.
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

Wow its pretty prominent. Good vid.

I am personally however, not sure what that could be. It might just be some squeakiness of the clutch/flywheel assembly since it isn't up to operating temps yet. Subarus rev high at cold starts to begin with.

If there are no actual issues, despite other reports of it, I'd let it be. Or you could even show the vid to the Dealer...

Funny...i get the same noise on cold morning starts as well. The car has done it as far as I can remember.

I can't imagine it's a serious problem...so I haven't been worried about it. Keep us posted if you get any more information.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.