No cold air from A/C

This is a discussion on No cold air from A/C within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, Rocking a 2002 stage4 bugeye w/ 120k miles. Tried to use the A/C last week and although the ...

No cold air from A/C

Hey guys,

Rocking a 2002 stage4 bugeye w/ 120k miles.

Tried to use the A/C last week and although the fan was blowing at full capacity there was just no cold air. In addition to the lack of cold air the compressor did not come on.

My buddy who is an Audi mechanic took a look and said the lines had no compression and my refrigeration was was bone dry. He also said the bearings or whatever on my A/C compressor were not spinning.

He said that it is VERY unlikely that all my refrigerant was used up and it's more likely I have a leak?

I know last summer, my A/C worked fine but my A/C compressor would have a blowoff valve type noise when kicking in and would cause more sluggishness than usual (more than the usual power zap the A/C causes).

How should I approach this?

Do I just bring it to a shop and have it refilled with refrigerant, get a new compressor, or have a shop look for a leak?

I don't really "need" A/C because I'm a windows down type of guy, but sometimes you need it when it's raining during the summer to clear fog off of the windshield.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Either you or a shop must find the leak, fix it, pull a vacuum for some time, and then refill the system. The noise at compressor kick in might have just been a belt and thecpmpressor won't engage now anyway so if there is a leak, fix that first I would say. If need be used compressors are out there from wrecks but I would think simple first. If you lack time and gauges hire an off work AC guy by word of mouth or go to a trusted shop.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Is it possible I am just out of refrigeration or is that only possible via a leak?
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    Only via a leak. The refrigerant is intended to stay in the system.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

That's what I figured.

Ball-park, how much will this run me to find/fix leak. I can't do it myself; largely because I don't know how and don't have the time to learn between working 50 hours a week and studying for the CPA exam.

BTW, your speed in responding to these posts is astonishing. As usual, you rock my man.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Compressing an A/C system is an expensive job. The guys I interned under would love doing 'em 'cause a couple of those jobs would have 'em set for the week. To replace the compressor, compress the system, and refill with refrigerant you're probably looking at around $1200.
    -Holden
    Bugeye wagon - ERZ Uppipe - TurboXS Axleback - Swift Springs - JNA Lip

Quote Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
    Compressing an A/C system is an expensive job. The guys I interned under would love doing 'em 'cause a couple of those jobs would have 'em set for the week. To replace the compressor, compress the system, and refill with refrigerant you're probably looking at around $1200.
    You've got to be kidding me!

I was thinking this would be a $300 ordeal.

For $1,200 I may as well just the sell the car. I just dumped over a grand into it for the timing belt, brake job is due soon, and I am on stock clutch at 120k, which means another grand for that pretty soon.

This car is killing me.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Is it possible that the leak is a slow leak and I can just have it refilled with refrigerant and it will hold me over throughout the summer? Summer ends in like 3 months in Chicago anyway.

Trying to get ahead on student loans, moving to a new place, and paying off some other debt. I can't keep dumping a grand into my car every 3 months.
    Just call me Clark Kent

From what I am reading, actually finding the leak, repairing it, and then adding coolant is fairly cheap... around $100-$200. It gets really expensive when you have to get a new compressor apparently. I am hoping this is not the issue, but if it is I have a couple friends who are mechanics and could probably do it.

Anyone have a cheap sites to get a 2002 wrx ac compressor if I may need it?

Thanks!
    Just call me Clark Kent

Brought it a shop today.

The guy gave me a recharge w/ dye. It works well now. He said once it starts to lose its cold again bring it in and the dye in the system will show where it's leaking and then he can go ahead and replace it. Good new is that no compressor needed!
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    In case it's a hose, say the high side hose, this might be helpful -- this was my experience with a hose I replaced recently:

A/C line bolt spec?

Mind your o-rings and your pressures. My system still functions as of this writing, despite me having done the repairs.

Good luck.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-23-2011 at 02:49 PM.