Looking for Everyones opinions on this....

This is a discussion on Looking for Everyones opinions on this.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just recently had my 2nd transmission failure of 2nd gear. As I'm sure most of you know the stock ...

Looking for Everyones opinions on this....

I just recently had my 2nd transmission failure of 2nd gear. As I'm sure most of you know the stock 5spd's can handle the extra power of a modified motor and transmit the torque to wheel spin, anyways chances are I dont want to install a third 5 spd and have this happen again. I would like something that can handle serious torque and HP, 600+. Does anyone have a Dogbox, I am prepared to go with a dogbox however I have heard many things some may be misconceptions...you will ruin the dogs if you drive it on the street, you wont get many miles out of it etc etc....Just looking on input from everyone oh what kind of trans they would go with and why?.....thanks for the input in advance guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm still running my stock 5 speed, but having done a bit of research it seems that for 1/2 the cost of properly building a 5MT you could have an STI transmission. I've driven a 02 with a dog box (someone else's), and it's loud, shift effort is quadrupled, and it cost a fortune. It's not something I would want to daily drive.

If/when it comes time to do a rebuild I'd go with PPG helical gears if a good deal can be found or an STI trans/diff, etc..., but I guess it depends what your ultimate goals are, mine aren't much further north of stage 2 or a medium sized turbo swap; nowhere near 600 hp.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

maybe this will help its from the FAQ section on ppg site. Here there site. Pfitzner Performance Gearbox - Surpassing Limitations

Are dog engagement gearsets suitable for street daily driving applications?

It is a common misconception that you are not able to drive a dog engagement gearset on the street as a daily-driver. The reality is that you can.
    PPG dog gearsets provide fast, positive gear selection, with or without the use of clutch. The PPG Dog Engagement gear sets are undoubtedly the strongest and most “user friendly” on the market. However it should be pointed out that Dog Engagement Gearsets require fast, firm gear selection and are quite noisy on each gear change. Check out our "driving a dog box" video in the media section of this website for further explanation and example.

I dont have any first hand experience with this just my op, but as stated below i dont beleve i would want a dogbox in any dd. again just my op. also if you gave a few goals like what type of racing or dd/show car. maybe some people with experience with diffent racing types would be able to help out with what your needs would be like a strong built 5mt, 6mt, or dogbox. Sorry if i am looking to far into that. lol. with my car if i ever get to this point. i will go with the ppg helical gear set. unless i find a deal on the 6spd.
    Last edited by irvin787878; 05-14-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Thanks for the tips guys. I drive the car maybe once every week or two, I think last year I put 1600 miles on it, it has no plans of being my daily driver. I have my Legacy for that. someone did a wonderful write up on here I found a while back but cant seem to locate it again. Its a thread on the like cheapest way to do a 6spd swap, If anyone comes across it, the link would be most appreciated.

I Support ClubWRX
    have you been putting in stock trannies or useing like 03+ or 06+? tried a legacy trans?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

all the trans. I have replaced have been from 02 WRX's, I called around to Xcceleration, Andrewtech, and Rallispec today, The prices I got for full dogbox's where alot cheaper than I had imagined, I just like the breathing room i have with a dogbox has as far as power options from the motor, I can increase pretty much all i want and dont have to worry about 2nd gear...

Alright, today I went the whole way and bought a group N PPG STi dogbox , Now all I need is advice on wiring up the DCCD, I'm pretty sure I have everything else figured out,
    STi shift linkage
    Automatic Forester driveshaft
    STi clutch fork
    WRX clutch and flywheel
    STi trans mount
    I am going to convert the female accepting dogbox to the male accepting so I can reuse the WRX axles, and the stock R160 already has a 354 rear, If anyone can offer any tips, they would be appreciated...