2007 WRX TR, 74000, ENGINE BOG, TIMING BELT CHANGE

This is a discussion on 2007 WRX TR, 74000, ENGINE BOG, TIMING BELT CHANGE within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I thought of writing this on the Engine Modification thread, but its Majority Maintenance. this is the story, i have ...

2007 WRX TR, 74000, ENGINE BOG, TIMING BELT CHANGE

I thought of writing this on the Engine Modification thread, but its Majority Maintenance.

this is the story, i have been gradually noticing (in a month or so) the acceleration on the engine bog coming out from a stop, or even driving up a hill. (the worst, sounded like i was like a first time driver on manual.) its sputtered like a tradition tractor. and would only reach a maximum of 15psi(-/+) of boost, and i wouldn't see any boosting until 4000+ RPM. approx. 200 miles to a tank. NO BUENO...

im running cobb stage 2. catless turbo back. nothing too special. engine just turned 74000 miles. at first thinking it could be a blown cylinder, valve, etc. so i started at the easiest way out. checked all spark plugs for miss firing. no problem there. for the heck of things, i decided to conduct a compression test.

#1=130
    #3=128
    #2=105
    #4=104

i tested the 1 and 3 first, i was content with the reading, then went for 2, when i saw the reading. i was SH**... please dont be... went ahead for 4 i got similar reading to 2. as both reading were consistent. thought it might be the cam/valve the only thing that would make this happen with blow by on compression.

i was in doubt due to how old the car was and the timing belt didnt need to be changed until over 100000 miles. but went ahead to upgrade to Gate Racing timing belt kit, to replace all the pulleys, pump, belt. i shooting in the dark with this, and not to send it to the dealer to check it out.
    yesterday night i decided to do the ugly with the car, everything came out alright except for the passenger, upper cam. it was totally off by a tooth. i was amazed about this. i carried on and conducted business getting it put all together. (btw, the belt is challenging when done alone.) after all is on, then its the moment to start the engine, hoping that it wont interfere and blow.

started it right up, and pured like it should and im glad it was just that and not a new engine. havent OWT yet, and not planning to do so anytime soon until its been broken in a little. but a total difference, smooth acceleration, good boosting, and quiet.

i just wanted to share this with all. small things that you can do on your own power, will definitely prevent catastrophic damage in the future. basically, preventative maintenance. i will post the pictures of the alignment before the belt was removed, and of course the finish product. also, ill be conducting a compression test for comparison.
    MANNY
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #134

https://www.facebook.com/L1G3R

2007 WRB WRX TR, Stage 2.5, SPT Intake, Full Invidia 3" Exhaust w/ N1, ISC Coilovers, 17x8 RPF1 w/ Hankook VENTUS V4, DIY Engine Grounding.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That is amazing. If true, your belt skipped I suppose. I have a hard time picturing this but from what you say hopefully all is well.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

That's freaking awesome... I'm glad it wasn't a total engine failure after the hell I went through with mine...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257