wrx jolting in 2nd gear at 4 or 5k rpms
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on wrx jolting in 2nd gear at 4 or 5k rpms within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a vf39, sti blue injectors, walbro fuel pump, and the cobb ots map on my 2003 wrx. Last ...

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX

wrx jolting in 2nd gear at 4 or 5k / terrible idle

I have a vf39, sti blue injectors, walbro fuel pump, and the cobb ots map on my 2003 wrx. Last week I put on a spt intake and everything has been good. Today I was driving, in the harsh rain, and my car started jolting in 2nd gear at about 4 or 5k rpms. My car was also idling bad, like it was going to die. The filter is not wet from the rain.
    Last edited by yamaha_rider619; 05-12-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No CEL though? Did you install the MAF correctly and is its harness still on tight? The SPT should in and of itself be fairly innocuous.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no cel. There is only one way to install the maf, but yes I checked it and it is tight.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Just to keep any future seekers in the loop:
    Talked to Josh on the phone. He reset his ECU, and now there's no jolting. My immediate guess is a lean condition from the new intake. He said he's checked and double checked the intake, and that nothing was touched besides the intake. I asked if he has an aftermarket turbo inlet, or if the stocker has been cracked. He said the turbo inlet is brand spankin new from subaru so it shouldn't be the problem. Since the ECU reset stopped the jolting, that means his timing has been retarded enough that he's not getting timing pulled by the ECU for knocking. This is because his DAM (Dynamic Advance Multiplier) has been reset to 0.

Josh has AccessRace and Cobb has instructions in their "Tuning Guide" on how to do some MAF Scaling.

Here's the link Josh:
    AccessECU Tuning Guide and Worksheet for Subarus

And in the AccessECU Tuning guide the following terms have been changed:
    "Fuel Injector Boost Error Trim" is now "Tip-in Enrichment Compensation (Boost Error)"
    "A/F Trim Immediate" is now "A/F Correction #1"
    "A/F Trim Learned" is now "A/F Learning #1"
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Kevin, thanks for the help and doing all the leg work for me!

I have a feeling the spt intake definitely needs scaling, because when I was at WOT I watched my boost gauge shake and at the same time I could here the intake sucking so hard it seemed to suck in and out.

This MAF scaling is very complicated though...
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Well last night I started my car at about midnight and it ran worse than it did all day. At idle it tried to die and when taking off I had to rev the crap out of it, at 3k rpms, to even get it to move. Then once driving it was very jerky the whole way home.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Have you logged FBKC and FLKC?
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    It's hard to log anything as the car barely wants to run. Weirdest thing is this issue happened overnight.

Dynamic Adv., Fine Knock Learn, and Feedback Knock are 0 the whole log, saved space and removed them.

Here is a datalog of today at idle, the car died twice at idle:datalog6.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by yamaha_rider619; 05-12-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't see the datalog in tapatalk, but I think you need to reinstall your stock airbox and see what happens...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    I just got a replacement stock intake, now am going to buy a air filter. Will post updates...
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    The hard rain some how got on only the bottom of the filter, so I could not see it. Problem solved.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.