03 WRX jerks when i let off gas in lower gears

This is a discussion on 03 WRX jerks when i let off gas in lower gears within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whenever i let off the gas, or push back on it, in lower gears (it happens in higher gears too ...

03 WRX jerks when i let off gas in lower gears

Whenever i let off the gas, or push back on it, in lower gears (it happens in higher gears too but not nearly as noticable) my car jerks. if i let off or push the gas in VERY easilly it does not do this. if i quickly let off the gas or press on it on the other hand, it just "bucks" pretty hard. any ideas? i was told to clean the throttle body and check the motor mounts for stiffness.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's natural on manual transmission cars. Or is it just extremely absurd jerking?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's more than likely a mount and busing problem. Think, your car is now 8 years old and probably has quite a few miles on it with quite a few seasons. Rubber tends to soften and deteriorate and so drivetrain slop gets worse over time. When you have sudden torque or a sudden lack of torque the energy has to go somewhere, and when the mounts and bushings aren't able to absorb or dissapate that energy, you get lurching througout the drive train, which is absorbed by the rest of the car, hense the jerking.

That's not to say it couldn't be something else, of course.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

ok that makes sense, any suggestions on how to fix it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Change the mounts.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

This has been happening to me, too, and getting worse. Pick up unabomber's sexy rearend on TIC. It's $95, and will take care of this to a major degree. The only other mounts, AFAIK, are engine and tranny mounts (which would both help this, certainly), and then the other bushings you can do are in the shifter (won't help this problem, but are probably worth it).

Sometime before I end up going for the bushings (I'm a little short on cash right now), I'm thinking of taking a video of my rear diff as I drive around, just to see how bad it is. I know it's pretty bad at this point, because occasionally on an easy start, the car will just wobble back and forth with little power until it settles down.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Don't let off the gas...ever...

My crappy Jetta I just bought does this too...and I thought it was odd...since my wrx doesnt do this...I found out its just normal.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

This happened to me once. I found one of the pitch stop bolts had become loose. Check that and report back.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

ok i will. im not sure when i will get the chance but i will report back asap