power steering help!

This is a discussion on power steering help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my 02 wrx with 60k miles has this squealing noise when its cold and at start up, but goes away ...

power steering help!

my 02 wrx with 60k miles has this squealing noise when its cold and at start up, but goes away when the car warms up. the steering does not get harder nor does it get stiff. is this just a loose belt that i can tighten? or is it a bad power steering pump? i also noticed that the power steering fluid is dark brown and inbetween the max and min line.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Possibly a belt or roller. I haven't found tightening them to work; I replaced them instead with authentic Subaru belts. Much quieter now.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

will belts from autozone or oriellys work fine? or does it have to be subaru oem?

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru OEM for me.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

how can i tell if the pump is still good?

I Support ClubWRX
    Steering feel and/or noise and/or leaks. Since you didn't mention feel problems or leaks, that leaves noise, and checking the belts and rollers will eliminate that anyway. Since the noise goes away after startup, that would make me hope/suspect a belt instead of the pump (much cheaper).

the power steering fluid is a dark brown and i was told it should be a clear color? does that matter?

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't see the pump generating a squeal. A hiss, thunk, vibration, or heavy steering OK, but not a squeal. If you are concerned about the fluid, change it. My bet though is that the belt or a roller are generating the noise.

An easy way to tell if it's power steering is if the squeal gets louder when you turn the wheel hard. If the noise gets louder, it's power steering related. If the noise stays constant, it's something else. So which is it?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

oh i know its power steering for sure just wanted to double check if its the pump or i could just replace the belt