Timing Belt problems.

This is a discussion on Timing Belt problems. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I noticed today a loud whining sound coming from my timing belt I assume. I have a 2004 wrx ...

Timing Belt problems.

So I noticed today a loud whining sound coming from my timing belt I assume. I have a 2004 wrx with 82000 miles. I heard they needed to be replaced at 105k miles. But nonetheless, I'm assuming I need to replace the timing belt. So I had a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with.
    1)Generally speaking, how much labor/time does it take to replace it?
    2)Is it something I could do myself?
    3)Probably most importantly, how much time can I still use my car before the belt breaks? I ask this cause I don't have the funds to fix it and me and wife share the car. I certainly don't want to push the car to the brink but at this point my options are limited.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I did mine myself. However, you have not given any reason to believe the timing belt is at fault. In fact, it should not be the belt, as you are still well under the service interval. Consider finding out the real cause of the problem before going into the timing belt. There are three belts on the front of the motor, each with their own tensioning system and rollers. Any of those components could be at fault. Ideally it's something on the outside of the front cover, so you are looking at, say $100 vs. $700 for a repair.

Find out first.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.