2002 gets really mad during hard acceleration

This is a discussion on 2002 gets really mad during hard acceleration within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, My clutch started slipping last summer at around 130000 miles, so I figured it was time to get a ...

2002 gets really mad during hard acceleration

Hello,

My clutch started slipping last summer at around 130000 miles, so I figured it was time to get a new clutch. The autoshop confirmed that the clutch was at fault so there installed a new clutch kit for way too much money. I picked up the car and drove it around for a while on a tight new clutch (very different feeling). Anyway, it's been a few months (I drive a ton) and now during hard accelerations at about 4-5 rpm the car will jerk really (really) hard, and stop accelerating. It's different feeling than when the clutch was slipping which was a lot more gradual and calm.

Possibility?: The autoplace handed me some sort of arm like thing thats supposed to attach the transmission to the frame and said they couldn't get it on. He said it's not necessary so I put it in a drawer in my room.

Also the check engine light turned on the first time it happened and never ever turns off.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The part in your room is intended to keep the gearbox from pivoting as the car accelerates. Put it on.

The rest sounds like fuel cut. Have the code read (ideally, for free) and post the code.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yes the code we must have.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I had the CEL read and got three codes:

P0244
    P0304
    P0303

The car is completely stock

overboost and 3/4 misfire. Sounds like something in the wastegate/solenoid is messed up. I think the misfire could be caused by the consequences of overboost, but you could have engine issues too.

Do a once-over on your entire engine. Make sure all the vacuum lines are sealed and not cracked, and that you have the restrictor pill you need. If those are all good, make sure the wiring to the wastegate solenoid is good. If you've still found nothing, try a compression test. Some datalogging might be good for finding the cause of your wastegate issues.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit