2011 WRX | CEL P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX | CEL P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was out with my buddy taking some pictures with his Si and I noticed when we left one of ...

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

2011 WRX | CEL P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

I was out with my buddy taking some pictures with his Si and I noticed when we left one of our locations we were shooting at I had a CEL. When we got to our next destination just a few seconds later I pulled out my ScanLink OBDII dongle and read the codes and emailed them to myself. Below is what I found:

Current Fault Log
    ------------------
    P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

Pending Fault Log
    ------------------
    P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

Historic Fault Log
    ------------------
    ECU reports no historic faults

End of report.
    I'm curious if anyone could tell me what would cause it to misfire? What steps should be taken to minimize any potential risks? I have no problems taking it to the dealership if required, I don't have any modifications and don't drive like a maniac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Side note: Seems like since I've had this ScanLink unit I've had these CEL issues...
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not sure... Has your car been reflashed in anyway? Since its brand new, take it into the dealership and have them check it out...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    No flashes, completely stock except the RA Flaps. I'll give them a call and see what they can do... I cleared the code with Torque, but I have the file I emailed to myself... hopefully that doesn't defeat taking it to the dealership.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

I'm not sure how the whole Torque thing works, makes me wonder if it uploads anything onto your ecu or if its just for logging and scan issues... If it did load anything onto your ecu, it could be a bad omen for the techs at the dealer... If you can, uninstall it then take it in...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I'm not sure if it uploads anything to the ECU, I'll have to ask the developer.

I just washed my vehicle, so I'm wondering if the water that made it's way through the scoop may have messed with the electronics and triggered the misfire... either way, I don't think that the dealership will frown on anything... since it's almost time for the first oil change, I may just take it in and let them know that it had that CEL.

It doesn't upload anything to the ECU. It's a read only device.

Who knows why it misfired. As long as the CEL isn't flashing and the car is driving normally, just drive conservatively until you can get it to a dealer.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    No flashing CEL, although I forgot to mention the traction control light and cruise control light was also on. The cruise control light was flashing. Besides it having issues starting just after one attempt at turning the key, the second turn it fired up and I haven't had issues since. I'll monitor it and try to get it up to them sometime this week and also have them change the oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by Donkey; 04-30-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I actually read that shortly after posting, Donkey... thanks for the response!

I Support ClubWRX
    Also the flashing CEL,cruise control and traction control light are just to bring to your attention you have a DTC.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice, good info! I wasn't necessarily concerned with the cruise and traction control light, I assumed that was most likely for grabbing attention.