Off the lot Turbo Fail??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Off the lot Turbo Fail?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Kind of a horror story here: So I purchased my very first - Stock, 2004 WRX, 72K - one week ...

Off the lot Turbo Fail??

Kind of a horror story here:

So I purchased my very first - Stock, 2004 WRX, 72K - one week ago from a dealer. This week I drove it on a 3 hr trip to visit family. While on the highway, I noticed the turbo was kicking in-and-out, almost unnoticeable. After a bit the turbo stopped engaging and you could hear the air being forced out the hood.

Pulling over immediately my engine began to shake, the intercooler was popping, and it would not idle below 1,200 RPMs without stalling. The check engine light came on and at the same time another problem happened... when you lock/unlock the car it does not make the normal beep sound it had been previously. My worry is something electrical is going on as well. I checked for loose hoses and didn't find anything. Is this the result of a bad turbo? Escaping fuel? Electrical issue?

I didn't even put 300 miles on it yet and there was no 30 day warranty when buying it. Has anybody heard of something like this? I'm kind of stranded with the vehicle right now.

*Any advice/help would be beyond grateful.
    --

The Blue Goose

YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/RedJester24

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep checking for a boost leak first. Check the intercooler hoses, the inlet, etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It sounds like a massive boost leak; check your y-pipe (i.e. pipe going from turbo to intercooler), intercooler to TB coupler, BPV valve and gasket.

The beep when you unlock/lock the car is from a piezo behind the front bumper, connection could be loose, or it could just be going bad.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I checked the hoses/pipes pretty thoroughly and didn't find anything. I'm having it towed to a dealership in the morning and see what they can find. Hopefully it is just a minor leak. The headlight went out and is not a dead bulb either, I'm guessing this is in correlation with the unlock/lock beep issue....

Thanks for the quick replies.
    --

The Blue Goose

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Starting to sound like an electrical issue or combination of things. Let us know what you find out
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I dont know where you live but up here in washington there is actually a law for that type of thing.
    Here i believe its called the "lemon law" where is you have 30 days after buying a car to be able to take it back to a dealership and they have to give you your money back if it breaks for normal wear and tear type of things or if it breaks from something that they failed to tell you when you purchased it.

Hope that helps!
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

Quote Originally Posted by d_Ziggy_2000 View Post
    I dont know where you live but up here in washington there is actually a law for that type of thing.
    Here i believe its called the "lemon law" where is you have 30 days after buying a car to be able to take it back to a dealership and they have to give you your money back if it breaks for normal wear and tear type of things or if it breaks from something that they failed to tell you when you purchased it.
    I live in Wisconsin but purchased the car in Iowa. Unfortunately Iowa doesn't have any lemon laws which protect the buyer. Let this be a lesson!

Thanks for looking out though, Zig.
    --

The Blue Goose

So it looks like there was indeed a boost leak. It was the pipe going into the intake gasket. Going to cost around 1k to fix, but very necessary. Still trying to figure out what is going on electrically...
    --

The Blue Goose

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by redjester View Post
    So it looks like there was indeed a boost leak. It was the pipe going into the intake gasket. Going to cost around 1k to fix, but very necessary. Still trying to figure out what is going on electrically...
    Before you spend $1K, post a detailed description of what part(s) you are talking about and post pictures with an arrow or something to indicate the affected part(s). I like cars and I like money, and I can't make sense of the problem so I think you could be overspending.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Please elaborate. 1K is steep, which pipe/gasket?
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Post a picture of where the leak is please as previously requested. There's no leak under the hood that should be more than a few hundred to fix, it that. They're also all pretty simple fixes even a trained donkey could do.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Was it the turbo inlet or the intercooler Y pipe?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

definitely shouldnt be that much money to fix a boost leak!
    Like everyone said already.. a picture is worth a thousand words.. hopefully in the case it can save you a thousand dollars =P
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

It was the turbo inlet pipe. The car is actually in a different city 2 hours away at a dealership. I'd provide a photograph if I could. The dealership had to order the pipe which was $110 and they estimated me $700 for labor. So roughly $800+ for the final costs...
    --

The Blue Goose

I Support ClubWRX
    Get a price from an independent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast