2005 WRX overheated = New engine?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2005 WRX overheated = New engine? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a 2005 WRX wagon. Like a silly ignant girl I let the damn thing overheat. Got the ...

2005 WRX overheated = New engine?

So I have a 2005 WRX wagon. Like a silly ignant girl I let the damn thing overheat. Got the radiator replaced, it had cracked and I didn't realize how close to critical it was... /excuse over... And drove it thinking I could get away with a couple of days... How wrong I was. I wanted to save on the towing so drove with the heater on for that last day and all was 'ok' until the day I was gonna take it in... All of a sudden the ole drive with the heater on thing didn't work and the temp shot up- eep...

Got it towed to the dealership for a new radiator

So the wagon was fine for a bit and then I noticed smoke out the hood scoop... And eventually out the tail pipe- and randomly occuring... I left it with the dealership for the weekend and they couldnt see it or get it to smoke /figures I drive out and poof smoke pull right back in and they confirm it's coming from the heat shielding around the turbo pipes. So bring it in thinking worse case the turbo needs to be replaced best case it's just a turbo gasket... I call to confirm the gory details and... Well it gets real gory... Um... Yeah it's not the turbo you need an engine..... Gah!

So they found white powder in the exhaust valves along with a little rust, white powder on the A/F sensor and signs of seepage from the head gaskets (caskets in this case?) So their suggestion-based on the overheat, the evidence and 115,000 miles, is to replace the engine. I did take it to another shop and they basically confirmed the same thing.

So do you think just a head gasket and or head replacement will do the trick or did I save on the towing to screw myself with needing a new engine? The dealership mechanic said I needed to fix it, dump it or drive it till it explodes (which could happen tomorrow or months from now).

Looking for advice, suggestions or just smile to yourself and say yup stoopid girl drivers ;-p
    2004 WRB Wagon R.I.P. (Officially a lemon)

SAVE DARFUR! http://www.savedarfur.org/content
    NEVER let fear hold you back from something beautiful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A blown headgasket (or two) does not necessarily mean you have to replace the motor. It depends on how bad the motor over heated and if the coolant got into the engine's oiling system. Either way it's not going to be a cheap repair.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Ouch. That sucks.

They are not necessarily wrong, but they are giving you the safe option. You can try replacing the head gaskets, having the heads checked. Unfortunately of there is damage to the lower end, you still need a new engine & are out the $$$.

I would get AAA, and then drive it until it failed. Save some cash to buy a new block when it fails.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Bad things happen, it's a lesson I'm sure you won't forget. I've been down that road (not with my WRX tho) and can vouch that it's gonna be expensive either way.
    If you can do it, replace the motor. I'd like to think that that'll be the more reliable option (especially since you just don't know if something else was damaged and could go next) but it ain't cheap. Good luck regardless, keep us posted.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

That sucks, but If you fix it, You'll love it even more and have the peace of mind knowing it will be reliable for more years to come...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

It depends on how hot you let the car get. Aluminum conducts heat extremely well so it is extremely important to keep it cool and never let it overheat.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Just kind of wondering what happened that caused it to overheat. I have the same exact car (75k miles) with no mods (yet), and have never seen the temp gauge move past operating temp. I also don't race my car for more than quick grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Rabbit View Post
    Just kind of wondering what happened that caused it to overheat. I have the same exact car (75k miles) with no mods (yet), and have never seen the temp gauge move past operating temp. I also don't race my car for more than quick grin.
    sounds like a cracked radiator according to the OP. Our plastic endcaps are not well-known for their strength.

If you're in a similar situation - don't keep driving, and if it's the radiator, replace with a mishimoto or smth.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Banned
    lesson learned. Now if you invested in the $50 dollar towing, this would of never happen. sell your car to some chump, and buy yourself a new WRX or STi

Yup cracked radiator. The top part of the radiator is plastic and that part will eventually fail. Si if you start to smell coolant have the radiator looked at. Mine lasted about 100,000.

I guess my other question is... my dad has been a mechanic for a very long time. How realistic is it to have him do the head gasket? Is there anything super weird or odd about the process or is it pretty straight forward?

If I decide to sell I've been told it's worth about $3000 in it's current condition... does that sound about right? And damn it I also just replaced the clutch too =/
    2004 WRB Wagon R.I.P. (Officially a lemon)

SAVE DARFUR! http://www.savedarfur.org/content
    NEVER let fear hold you back from something beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieJeep View Post
    I guess my other question is... my dad has been a mechanic for a very long time. How realistic is it to have him do the head gasket? Is there anything super weird or odd about the process or is it pretty straight forward?

If I decide to sell I've been told it's worth about $3000 in it's current condition... does that sound about right? And damn it I also just replaced the clutch too =/
    I can't comment too much on worth, but if that's true, then put a new engine in! Compared to the lost value by having a bad engine, a new engine costs very little.

Headgaskets are somewhat tough by nature of the boxer engine - there's NO WAY you're doing it without at least removing the engine. Then, since the car did overheat, you're likely going to have to machine the heads and block to get the surfaces to mate correctly, most likely.

Run a compression and leakdown test, at least. That'll tell you a little more about what's up, at least.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gasstationboiII View Post
    lesson learned. Now if you invested in the $50 dollar towing, this would of never happen. sell your car to some chump, and buy yourself a new WRX or STi
    This is terrible advice... Why would you want to screw someone? Regardless of "chump" status or not that is screwing someone.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    This is terrible advice... Why would you want to screw someone? Regardless of "chump" status or not that is screwing someone.
    It's only screwing someone if the damage is not disclosed.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    +1
    OP, if you just put a new clutch in, sounds like it really would be a better idea to put a new motor in and keep it if you can.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    It's only screwing someone if the damage is not disclosed.
    If the damage is disclosed then it isn't "screwing".

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast