Best adhesive for door side mirror to plastic?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Best adhesive for door side mirror to plastic? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was driving one of the vans (GM) we have at work, when the driver's side mirror started to shake ...

I Support ClubWRX

Best adhesive for door side mirror to plastic?

I was driving one of the vans (GM) we have at work, when the driver's side mirror started to shake quite a bit. I stopped, reached out to check - it pretty much fell out into my hand.

So ... what is the best adhesive to reattach? The mirror has no silver backing - it is plain glass. The mirror housing mounting surface is your basic hard plastic.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I was driving one of the vans (GM) we have at work, when the driver's side mirror started to shake quite a bit. I stopped, reached out to check - it pretty much fell out into my hand.

So ... what is the best adhesive to reattach? The mirror has no silver backing - it is plain glass. The mirror housing mounting surface is your basic hard plastic.
    Quick set windshield urethane. Normally available at any parts store. Put it in a caulk gun and go to town. Just be careful because it's a real pain to clean if you make a mess. Glue it on, tape it together with masking tape and you're good to go the next day.

I Support ClubWRX
    That is a tough one. There are factors to consider there aside from just bonding the different materials - temp/strength/longevity (normal considerations for some of us, har har).

I would look into a glass friendly epoxy personally. I have never used epoxy on glass, however.

EDIT: TR has a much more credible handle on this situation. Follow his advice =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Quick set windshield urethane. Normally available at any parts store. Put it in a caulk gun and go to town. Just be careful because it's a real pain to clean if you make a mess. Glue it on, tape it together with masking tape and you're good to go the next day.
    Thanks ... I know you would know. A caulk gun sized tube will be way too much. Does it come in smaller sizes?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Thanks ... I know you would know. A caulk gun sized tube will be way too much. Does it come in smaller sizes?
    Not that I know of. Its kind of a one use thing. Once its open it starts to harden.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Not that I know of. Its kind of a one use thing. Once its open it starts to harden.
    OK, thanks.
    Mods & Pics

what about the 3m brand foam tape, its damn strong and provides vibration resistance.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyb0119 View Post
    what about the 3m brand foam tape, its damn strong and provides vibration resistance.
    I'd be concerned about hot summer days. I'm pretty sure it'd hold though... If it was my old van, heck yes 3m foam tape would work. Anything that I actually enjoy driving and want piece of mind my mirror won't fall off of, I'd say no go.

Also, I don't know how well it would ahere to glass. Glass is a funny material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Glass is a funny material.
    Only when you're looking in the mirror!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.