bulb replacement 2011 wrx headlights - looking for assistance
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on bulb replacement 2011 wrx headlights - looking for assistance within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I appoligize if this has been discussed before, but I have searched a bit and get nothing back except HID ...

bulb replacement 2011 wrx headlights - looking for assistance

I appoligize if this has been discussed before, but I have searched a bit and get nothing back except HID threads.

Anyway I have a 2011 WRX premium (non HID) and I ordered SilverStar Ultra's for both my high and low beams. I can get to the high beams pretty easily, but the low beams look like they will a pretty big pain to change.

Is there a proper or best way to access them?

It looks like either remove the battery/airbox or take off the bumper and maybe remove the whole headlight housing?

If anyone has some expierence and could point me in the right direction I would greatly appriciate it.

Thanks,
    Jerz

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You'll have to remove the airbox in the passenger side, it's really easy though. On the driver's side you should be able to reach the cap and unscrew it. Depends on how big your hands are I guess.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd take return those bulbs.

Those bulbs fall into this category:
    Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    To remove the airbox,just remove the 2 tabs,take a flat head and wedge it under the head to pull up the head.Once you have pulled up the head pull off the tab with your hand.Its fairly easy to remove the low beams bulbs.
    You can watch the process in this video around 1:20

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

+1 to above.

You can get better bulbs for the price. I just changed my brights/DRL last night with HIR's (Daniels recommendation). Now my fogs and brights are running HIR's and the difference is pretty crazy. You should talk to Daniel first before retrofitting those bulbs to your car though. It requires the operator to be a little more responsible and know proper use of lights because they're a magnitude brighter for the same power draw as OEM bulbs.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Thanks for the info guys, i guess with my fat sausage fingers I might have to remove the battery as well to get to the bulbs, good to know I don't have to take off the bumper.

As far as the bulbs I ordered, I thought I was going the correct route with a quality product rather then ordering a Ebay blue tinted bulb or HID kit in halogen housing.... oh well I might have to bite the bullet and go fora full HID retrofit. Man my women will be pissed when she sees my headlights in the oven!

Thanks again for the quick responses.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzeystyle View Post
    Oh well I might have to bite the bullet and go fora full HID retrofit. Man my women will be pissed when she sees my headlights in the oven!
    You don't have to go that extreme. Shoot Daniel Stern a 5 minute email regarding your concerns for the performance of your lights along with the car model and year. You'll be surprised what recommendation he may give you. HID's are not an end all solution.

You should be able to find his email on his website.
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html
    Last edited by KHP; 04-20-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeystyle View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, i guess with my fat sausage fingers I might have to remove the battery as well to get to the bulbs, good to know I don't have to take off the bumper.

As far as the bulbs I ordered, I thought I was going the correct route with a quality product rather then ordering a Ebay blue tinted bulb or HID kit in halogen housing.... oh well I might have to bite the bullet and go fora full HID retrofit. Man my women will be pissed when she sees my headlights in the oven!

Thanks again for the quick responses.
    I bought the Silverstar Ultras and returned them.
    1) they were not brighter than stock. At all.
    2) They weren't any "whiter" than stock. On high beams, maybe slightly. But at DRL level, they are so dim that the filament doesn't light up full white hot and they have that warm incandescent glow. To compensate, I actually went with the REALLY blue Nokya Arctic White bulbs from ebay. During DRL, they have a much nicer glow.

For your low beams, take Dan's advice:
    For low beams, Your low beams take a 1350-lumen H11 bulb. You can easily, safely, and effectively replace this with a 2100-lumen H9 bulb, which you ought to be able to find locally by seeking the high beam bulb for a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. Use a good brand (GE, Philips, Osram-Sylvania) and stick to colorless clear bulbs, not any kind of "whiter light" bulb such as the Sylvania Silver Star scam. You may need to shave a small ridge of plastic off the H9 bulb's connector so that the H11 socket will snap on. Other than that, it's a direct swap. The only disadvantage is shorter low beam bulb life — the H11 is optimised for very long life with relatively modest light output, while the H9 is optimised for very high output with relatively short life. Note that the H9 swap is not universal; it works well in projector-type low beams but is not safe in most reflector-type low beams or in fog lamps of any type.

One not-very-well-publicised trick for improving your seeing in bad weather with those headlamps is to remove the low beam headlamp bulbs and find the stamped "awning" plate protruding rearward from the vertical metal cutoff plate that blocks roughly the lower half of the view forward through the bulb hole. Use something clean and grippy (eraser end of a
    brand-new pencil, for instance) to reach forward through the bulb hole and push/fold that awning down so it covers more of the "window" slot in the lower portion of the cutoff plate (you can see the slot, albeit with optical distortion, if you kneel down in front of the headlamp and peer carefully through its front lens). It is not necessary for the awning to be folded so it's flat up against the slot, just bend it down most of the way. This will greatly reduce the amount of light thrown upward by the low beams. You'll still be able to read overhead signs, but there'll be much less backscatter.
    Last edited by SamXp; 04-20-2011 at 01:43 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

Make it +2 for Dan.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

If you do decide to go with the hid kit for your car i would just like to say do not buy the xentec ebay garbage i would suggest buying the whole kit from H11 HID Kits - Home these are the exact ones that i have and the ballasts are amazing they dnt burn out or fail like the ebay crap. just a suggestion *

i dnt mean to get side tracked but has anyone painted there inside of the headlight housing via baking just wanna see if its worth it

painted mine.. if you're going to have them apart you may as well. Just remember to let them off gas for at least a few hours before you re-assemble. Mine got a little cloudy over night after re-assembly. The paint was dry to touch but not finished releasing solvent. .. whoops. lol They look good though, here's a pic.

OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

nicee did u have to sand anything

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.